Unreliable boot after transporting

fortylightbulbs

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Every couple of weeks or so I have to transport my tower. If I do that there seems to be a 50% chance that this starts happening:

The display won't go passed a black screen. The monitor recognizes a signal but immediately goes into standby mode. This has been a consistent problem (see post history) that keeps coming back. Eventually it will turn back on after 20+ boot attempts. It used to do it as well after a long sleep, which I 'solved' by never letting it go into sleep.

Fans come on, keyboard and mouse lights come on, can still turn it off and on by the case power button. Just a black screen on any display hooked up to it.

No onboard video, just graphics card. I've tried taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in, different monitors, no USB hookups.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Please post your full system spec.

Do you have a heavy GPU or sizeable CPU cooler? Various components could work their way a little loose (theoretically). In practice, most should be fairly secure - except for the heavy items.

What does the "transport" look like? Assuming in a car and not via a shipping company?

fortylightbulbs

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
PSU: Corsair RB850X
GPU: AMD Radeo Saphire HD 7870
Gigabyte board
RAM: 8gb Corsair vengeance

Can't get into system specs right now so I'm not sure about the details of the CPU.

Thanks for the help, sorry about the slow reply. Transport is just an hour in the back of a car. Tried reseating ram, gpu, and connections

fortylightbulbs

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Every couple of weeks or so I have to transport my tower. If I do that there seems to be a 50% chance that this starts happening:

The display won't go passed a black screen. The monitor recognizes a signal but immediately goes into standby mode. This has been a consistent problem (see post history) that keeps coming back. Eventually it will turn back on after 20+ boot attempts. It used to do it as well after a long sleep, which I 'solved' by never letting it go into sleep.

Fans come on, keyboard and mouse lights come on, can still turn it off and on by the case power button. Just a black screen on any display hooked up to it.

No onboard video, just graphics card. I've tried taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in, different monitors, no USB hookups,