Unreported Plane Crashes in the US

An average of one time every day there is a safety-related accident,
incident , or threat reported in the U.S., with the majority of
incidents going unreported. The press usually covers only major
accidents that result in total and absolute fatalities.

The table below is a list of small plane crashes and the type of planes.
This is just a small list of hundreds of crashes that occur yearly.

Aircraft Type Deaths

Bonanza single-engine, two-seat aircraft (2)
Single-engine Thorpe T-18C (2)
Beech BE-1900D (21)
Cessna 421 (3)
Cessna 185 (4)
McDonnell Douglas 369D (4)
Cessna 180H (3)
Cessna 402C (1)
Bell 206B (5)

http://www.aviationattorneys.com/faa-2003.cfm

BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

> Bonanza single-engine, two-seat aircraft (2)

There's a two-seat Bonanza? I didn't know that.

--
Peter

DB

I dont see the press reporting the thousands of crashes that occurr in
Flight Simulator either.

Its a complete news blackout and coverup.

Damian

> An average of one time every day there is a safety-related
> accident, incident , or threat reported in the U.S., with the
> majority of incidents going unreported.

What's the point?

Local news sources often (but not always) report on local aircraft or
automobile crashes. If it's minor, probably not even then.

Heck, 120 people a day die in major automobile accidents in the US,
too, but each one isn't reported in national news.

crash

pr wrote:
> BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> Bonanza single-engine, two-seat aircraft (2)
>
> There's a two-seat Bonanza? I didn't know that.

Bench seats?? d:->))

CRaSH <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote:

> pr wrote:
>> BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:
>>
>>> Bonanza single-engine, two-seat aircraft (2)
>>
>> There's a two-seat Bonanza? I didn't know that.
>
> Bench seats?? d:->))

So you could pull your lover close to you while you cruise the airways on a
Saturday night?

--
Peter

Yup, I had a car accident once and guess what? It wasn't even on the late
news. Cover-up, total cover-up...

"DB" <shyturttle@nospamaol.com> wrote in message
>I dont see the press reporting the thousands of crashes that occurr in
>Flight Simulator either.
>
> Its a complete news blackout and coverup.
>
> Damian

>The point being, if this is suggesting that there maybe about 350
deaths
>to do small aircraft each year in the US. That would be about 10 times

>higher than I ever thought. And that would change everything about my
>beliefs about aircraft safety.

Ah, I see. Do you read real aviation newsgroups or flying magazines?
This is discussed quite often. The summary:

Statistics say (and you know what they say about statistics) that small
planes are about as safe as riding a motorcycle. The big difference
is, pilots have a far larger say in what causes an accident.
(Motorcyclists also depend a lot on other drivers not killing them.)

Most aircraft accidents are due to pilot error. So if you're a good
conscientious pilot, you can fly safely all your life.

Kev

Bob

DB wrote:

> I dont see the press reporting the thousands of crashes that occurr in
> Flight Simulator either.
>
> Its a complete news blackout and coverup.
>
> Damian

Damn, I had a Transmission chip detector light come on right at sunset
out over the James River and had to land on the grounds of the Mariner's
Museum in Newport News VA. I had TWO TV stations and one newspaper
reporters there within half an hour. I asked the newspaper gal what all
the fuss was about and her answer was to tell me that I didn't know what
an upscale neighborhood I landed in and there were many calls from these
"affluent" citizens trying to find out what was going on.

Chip Detectors - come on when a chip of metal closes the circuit between
the tip and the outer ring (ground) indicating metal shavings were
circulating in the oil. Unfortunately most of these problems were
nothing more than fuzz closing the circuit and only required inspecting
the chip detector and safety wiring it back in place. But the pilot has
no choice when this particular light comes on but to land **Maintaining
Power to the Transmission** as soon as possible.

There are 3 reactions to different cockpit indications.

Land Immediately - Land Now, through the trees if need be

Land as soon as possible - Land at the nearest suitable landing area

Land as soon as practicable - Return to airfield

I hated those "Land Immediately" procedures. Luckily every time I had
one I had a field within landing distance.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

DB

Was that like in the 80's boB? Cause I remember hearing a report like
that...I think I was working on H-2's when heard about it.

Damian

Date: 3 Apr 2005 16:42:09 -0700

> An average of one time every day there is a safety-related
> accident, incident , or threat reported in the U.S., with the
> majority of incidents going unreported.

What's the point?

Local news sources often (but not always) report on local aircraft
or automobile crashes. If it's minor, probably not even then.

Heck, 120 people a day die in major automobile accidents in the US,
too, but each one isn't reported in national news.

The point being, if this is suggesting that there maybe about 350 deaths
to do small aircraft each year in the US. That would be about 10 times
higher than I ever thought. And that would change everything about my
beliefs about aircraft safety.

And as far back as I can remember, one always heard that your chances
are greater of dying in an automobile than for an aircraft. And I always
questioned that claim because that just would be too unbelievable to me.
And I still do feel safe in an aircraft anyway, but...

Now let's say that automobiles outnumber airplanes by 5000:1. I don't
know what the real numbers are, but the real numbers are probably much
higher than that. Anyway that would make the odds of dying in an
airplane crash about 500 times higher than by an automobile. See the big
difference here?

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

Bob

DB wrote:

> Was that like in the 80's boB? Cause I remember hearing a report like
> that...I think I was working on H-2's when heard about it.
>
> Damian

I was at Ft Eustis from 1978 through 1980 so it was probably 1980 when
it happened.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Here in Australia we even get Go arounds reported sometimes lol

"An aircraft was seconds from collision when the pilot initiated a go around
manuver, as an aircraft was already occupying the runway. No people were
hurt in the incident"

usually it's when theyre trying to hurt some company's image. Depends which
company is the hated company this month. Last time it was Ansett, and they
were reporting every single minor thing that happened to Ansett including
Bird strikes, Go arounds, Encounters with Turbulence enroute, Breaches of
Ground Handling procedures. and so on. CASA then grounded most of their
aircraft over Easter, forcing them to pay back heaps of money.

We still get go arounds reported sometimes, Knowing that it happens almost
every day at some airport in the country, they must just have slow news days
and send out some guys to the Airport to wait for a go around so they can
hype it up and make it sound dangerous.

Of course not going around is more dangerous ;)

"pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
> BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:
>
> > Bonanza single-engine, two-seat aircraft (2)
>
> There's a two-seat Bonanza? I didn't know that.

Yeah, that's basically what a T-34 is, but I don't think that's really
what they meant! <G>

Earl
--
Earl Needham