[SOLVED] Unresolvable issue

Apr 4, 2021
Whenever i play games, they CTD with very random timings. Sometimes it takes 1 minute, sometimes like 6 hours. It happens at a random place, situation and scenery. I had mostly FH4 crashing on me with nvwgf2umx.dll and PartyXboxLive.dll faulting modules, and RDR2 with only nvwgf2umx.dll. (the error always stays the same in Event Viewer, 0xc0000005). When doing very heavy multitasking (which i do very often), the system runs fluently without any problem at all.

I have:
done a DDU and rolled back my drivers several times.
downloaded literally all of Windows's updates (even the optional ones)
reinstalled C++ Visuals
disabled AppInit.dll in registries
done multiple sfc scans
MemTest86 for about 45 minutes without errors (XMP was on during the test)
searched google and followed several steps countless times.

This issue feels like its impossible to resolve, and therefore i'd appreciate some assistance.
Thank you.

Solution
It appears, as you well know, that the errors you are showing are Nvidia driver errors. There are a couple of things that come to mind based on what I (also) searched Google for on your codes.

I would assume you are monitoring temps. If not, do so.
I read a couple of places that specifically REMOVING a GPU OC would resolve this issue. Might consider loading Afterburner and running the voltage and clocks back down to standard stock setting for the base S model.
Might consider lowering settings in game, or changing the engine you are using for it. DX11/12/Vulkan.

In my own case with an ongoing issue with a Ryzen, it turned out to be a BIOS issue. I was on the motherboard recommended BIOS and I actually just got so tired of issue that I...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Manually download drivers via the applicable manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

No third party (DDU) installers.

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational entries that correspond with the CTDs. Reliability History is much more user friendly.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure, by sight and feel, that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Apr 4, 2021
My bad, and thank you for the reply.

Specs:
CPU: R3 3100 (Stock)
GPU: GTX 1660S Gainward GHOST OC (Factory overclocked)
MB: ASRock B450M Pro4-F
RAM: 2x8gb G.Skill Aegis (XMP off for testing manners)

PSU: bequiet! System Power 9 500W 80+B (89% max eff.), 4 months old, like new

Disk, drives: 60GB Patriot Blaze SSD (got it for free), 1TB WD Blue HDD; the SSD has 8.7gb/55.3gb (shown in blue), the HDD has 359gb/931gb.

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational entries that correspond with the CTDs.
Thank you for the tip, didn't even know this exists.
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure, by sight and feel, that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.
I'll make sure to do that tomorrow.

Also, sorry for the late response. I was busy at the moment.

Could you please continue assisting me with figuring out this issue of mine? I'd gladly appreciate it.
Thank you once again.

Ralston18

Titan
No "bads" as I see it.

Will do as I can.

However, others may post with additional ideas and suggestions.

And perhaps correct some error of omission or omission on my part.

I have no problem with either of the above.

Question: which drive is the boot drive?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It appears, as you well know, that the errors you are showing are Nvidia driver errors. There are a couple of things that come to mind based on what I (also) searched Google for on your codes.

I would assume you are monitoring temps. If not, do so.
I read a couple of places that specifically REMOVING a GPU OC would resolve this issue. Might consider loading Afterburner and running the voltage and clocks back down to standard stock setting for the base S model.
Might consider lowering settings in game, or changing the engine you are using for it. DX11/12/Vulkan.

In my own case with an ongoing issue with a Ryzen, it turned out to be a BIOS issue. I was on the motherboard recommended BIOS and I actually just got so tired of issue that I installed a BIOS past what was suggested by them. This, of course, could have ended really badly with a bricked motherboard, but in my own case led to wonderful system stability. I think in my own case that some of my issue was related more to RAM.

Of course, any time an issue like this is game related you have to scrape all the posts and reddits you can find about the title and similar issue(s). Many times when dealing with game issue there isn't anything specifically wrong with your hardware.

I wish you luck. This can be very frustrating.

Solution
Apr 4, 2021
No "bads" as I see it.

Will do as I can.

However, others may post with additional ideas and suggestions.

And perhaps correct some error of omission or omission on my part.

I have no problem with either of the above.

Question: which drive is the boot drive?
The SSD is my boot drive.

Thank you for reassuring me about my concerns.

Apr 4, 2021
I would assume you are monitoring temps. If not, do so
I do, almost always. My GPU tends to run pretty hot (76-79c without v-sync ON), but not to the point where it'll clock itself down to reduce its temperature.
I thought about this alot, but i'm not familiar with downclocking and don't want to really mess something up
I have tried playing Red Dead Redemption 2 with Vulkan API turned on and i was playing for about 1h and 15 minutes, no crash. But since the timing is very randomized, i'll have to test this again.
In my own case with an ongoing issue with a Ryzen, it turned out to be a BIOS issue. I was on the motherboard recommended BIOS and I actually just got so tired of issue that I installed a BIOS past what was suggested by them.
I have thought about this yesterday, but i'm still very afraid of bricking (as we say) my motherboard. I would not have an option to replace it afterwards for another few months and since i still have online school and i have to prepare for my final exams, that'd be terrible. I'll leave this as one of my last options.
Many times when dealing with game issue there isn't anything specifically wrong with your hardware.
That's good to know and i'm glad that i'm not the only one that thinks that way.
I wish you luck. This can be very frustrating.
Thank you very much, this was very useful information, and at this point, i appreciate every little response i can get. Good luck to you too.

Last edited: