unsecapp.exe new process?

ericestrella

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
So today this new process showed up out of nowhere. Literally this is the first time in over a year since I've built this PC that this process showed up. What exactly is it? Is this process safe, why did it pop up now? I am using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit btw.

Solution

Hey man read this about your problem
Hello,

I'm the person who wrote in reply#11 on the guru3d website about having noticed...

ericestrella

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

I scanned with Malwarebytes (the free version) and everything came up fine and I checked to see where the process was coming from and saw that it was coming from System32/wbem. I guess that means I'm good correct? But, I'm still curious, why did the process show up out of nowhere, this is literally the first time since I built this PC over a year ago that I've seen this process.

ericestrella

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Okay I scanned with avast! and everything came up fine. The full file name is Computer>Local Disk (C:)>Windows>System 32>wbem, the application in that folder is called unsecapp, it's unsecapp.exe in the task manager (Sink to receive asynchronous callbacks for WMI client application). Am I good now? Is it nothing to worry about? And what about my previous question of why, after over a year, am I starting to see this process out of nowhere. Yesterday it was not there at all and literally all I did was download Just Cause 2 off Steam.

Rory Cavanagh

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Actually I think it might be Avast! It's self that is using it. Remembering the fact that Avast! forums got hacked and they issued an emergency update for Avast! close to that time, I tried disabling it on start up. When I rebooted, BAM unsecapp.exe wasn't running in my processes. When I re enabled it and rebooted it had again reappeared.

So the real question should be, why is Avast! using unsecapp.exe?

Lisome

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

What Rory Cavanagh say is right, Avast! is using it. I update Avast! 2014.9.0.2016 to 2014.9.0.2018 last night and it show up when it wasn't there before. I have another computer and its on there too and another computer that I haven't update Avast! to 2014.9.0.2018 yet don't have it.

ChrisTUB

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014

unsecapp.exe is a process found on Microsoft Windows server and workstation suites which offers support towards compatibility issues.

This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

You can find more information here

http://processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/unsecapp/25780/

CpuNutJob

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

Hey man read this about your problem
Hello,

I'm the person who wrote in reply#11 on the guru3d website about having noticed unsecapp.exe starting on 2 of my pc's but not starting up on my laptop nor my friends pc and both of those have avast as well.

Well a couple days after posting that I started up my laptop again and what do you know? unsecapp.exe appears in startup and I was talking to my friend again and he said his avast! wasn't the most latest version so I asked if he could update it for me to test it out, he said sure and guess what? He also has unsecapp.exe starting on his windows 8 pc after restarting when before when I asked he didn't.

Now it's been about 20 days since this has appeared on my pcs and it's still here, I'm not sure about you guys but I'd really like to know why avast! needs to have this startup all of a sudden (and yes before anyone says otherwise I can confirm it has to do with avast! and something about it's most up-to-date version).

Solution

Mike1x

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
This application appeared out of nowhere recently. I don't play games on my pc and I don't have avast so it seems to be something harmful. Its in System32/wbem.

poppy48

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Regarding "unsecapp.exe": you were right in the first place, that it is necessary under WMI for a server to be able to issue asynchronous instructions and it appeared on my computer for the first time when I joined Steam.
If Avast is using it, then I can see what is coming: the unauthorized use of computer resources by a third party to transfer large quantities of commercial and perhaps national security data in the background while computer resources are being occupied with an approved function such as "Avast free". It is essentially the same type of thing that the SETI project did years ago, but with permission and full disclosure of what is going on. This data crunching is now being done for profit and the nature may not be so benign as SETI. There are capitalistic ventures afoot that are trying to make use of all computer capacity for the transference and crunching of large quantities of data. That is why there is a tremendous emphasis on matters involving ".NET" by Microsoft whereby they reversed their decision to not support XP and are now quietly supporting it with lots on ".NET" updates to anyone who would venture to log onto "Windows Update", even if they have XP.
So why is it necessary to issue asynchronous instructions? They are asynchrous because they are not requested by the "client", but are needed by the ISP in order to manage the data stream in the background that is being processed without your knowledge while something such as a free anti-virus or a free gaming service like Steam runs in the foreground with your permission. When you agree to those services, they make no mention that your computer will be used for "other activities having nothing to do with the free service".
In my life span of computer use, the only time my CPU reached and maintained 100% full output for a sustained period and my hard drive temperatures went above 100F was when I played on Steam while they transferred data in the background in huge quantities. I would have considered it due to the game except it was a legacy game from the 1990's, did not have great throughput and only required 5-10% of CPU resources in the past. Now it was 100%...sustained!!!They obviously did not expect that I would simultaneously be monitoring their activity but I was. Verizon tried to do this several years ago using their DSL customers (whom they prefer to refer to as "clients") and using their "client's" computer's capacity while your computer was left connected and turned on but you were not actually sitting at it. That generated complaints because they were charging for the ISP connection and then using it for their own profit making business. So they then tried using people's computer in the background at a very low level that would not cause you to notice and that was met with a lot of people cutting back services in XP so they were unable to control the data being transacted. Then along came Vista, Win7 and Win8 and as more people became familiar as to how to control the background use of their computer, eventually it became necessary to issue "unsecapp.exe" so system managers could manage your computer in the background without you being able to intervene in services with their activity.
Now you know why their is such emphasis by ISP's regarding the "services" you have turned on and off. But I maintain that WE have the license to the software and not the ISP and there are security reasons why we need to control how our computers are being "managed" externally.
However, you can always shut down in the middle of the data stream. That can cause Verizon, Steam, and now possibly Avast a significant problem with corruption and unfinished business. Unsecapp.exe can't prevent you from pulling the plug. And, you could always delete the file from your computer. Do you think that would make them happy?

Troller1

Reputable
May 20, 2015

SkullKidDanzen

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
hi guys mind if I ask
Unsecapp.exe started showing up for me after the last windows update along with [windows modules installer worker] process and they've been sucking the life off my cpu for about a week now
It never happened before and don't know what to do
any ideas what's going on?