unsolvable problem with Win 8.1

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
So...where to begin...
I bought an Asus laptop from my friend a while ago, used laptop (3 months old), with installed and activated Windows 8.1...

Everything was working fine, the apps, the store, all good.
So, I pay him, he gives me the laptop and before that deletes his user account (before I could create mine), and that's when all hell broke lose.

I didn't notice anything (first time on Windows 8), utill I saw that all of the apps (that were working just fine before he deleted his account) have a little "error" next to them. Now I've Googled the solution and when I tried to apply it and go to PC Settings (that gibberish new UI they've put it),
it also crashed right to desktop...well minimized, not crashed, and every time I've tried to maximize it, it just did the same thing.

After spending 8+ hours on Windows support forums, doing all that checks, cmd stuff and basically every solution out there, nothing helped...so I found a way to create a new user account, bypassing the PC Settings, aaaand that didn't solve the problem either...I've uninstalled all the apps, including the store, since they are basically useless, and I still can't find the fix.....

It started when he deleted the only account (his), before I created mine, and I suspect that that did something to mess up my system...

Now comes the tricky part, I'm not the type of guy to go around and try to fix the unfix-able, and I know what is the easiest way to fix it - clean install of Windows....here's the plot twist - no DVD reader (no Windows DVD either, or .iso)...I am avoiding USB boot since that has been the biggest trouble to do with Windows (tried it on my old desktop with friends legi .iso on USB, and got nothing but a gazillion errors)....and it seems that my laptop boots too fast for me to enter boot menu or bios (it boots in literally 2 seconds), F1, F2, F12 (or any other F key doesn't do it, tried it all), delete also does nothing...

So here I am, hoping that not all is lost, I am hoping that Win10 upgrade will fix this somehow, but here I am, pleading for help on this....I'll do my best to post any other info you need, I just want to resolve this and get on with my life....thanks guys :)

andreaszero

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
I installed windows from usb countless times. Just enter plug the usb in, enter the bios by spamming the right key before the screen shows to make sure you enter, go to boot and set it to boot from USB. That was the "hard part". After that it's the same as the CD. Your second option is to buy or borrow from someone an external optical drive/dvd reader.

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

well, that would be great if I had Windows .iso to burn to USB...external dvd reader wouldn't do me much good since I don't have Windows disk too....still looking for a solution that doesn't involve re-installing the system :)

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

Well, if there was, I'd be fixed a long time ago....but I'm still hoping...looking for the long shots that can solve it...if not, I'll wait 2 more months too see if Win 10 fixes it

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

no OS for my model....there is
EMI and Safety (5)
BIOS (2)
BIOS-Utilities (1)
Chipset (1)
ATK (1)
AUDIO (1)
VGA (2)
LAN (1)
Card Reader (1)
TouchPad (1)
Utilities (4)
Wireless (4)
BlueTooth (3)
Others (2)
Manual (34)

But no OS....

About that reset option, it'd probably be the missing files, which brings us back to the lack of the OS on thumb drive or DVD

All of the programs in question you mentioned would of course been connected to a user account.
All you had to do was create a new account and take ownership of all the files and programs store on the hard drive in it`s current state that would of also given you the permission rights and user status in windows.
Where you could of changed the permission settings.to gain user account control of them so they would run.
windows would of then stored all of the paths of each program to the execution file, the run command.
As the settings, or links to each executable were lost on deleting the main account or admin.
You could of done this if you set up a new account as an admin user of the laptop.
you can do this for example if you put another drive with windows installed on it say to another system though the drive is not a primary.
Take ownership of it.
So if when you clicked on a file it failed to run or execute and said cannot find program ect or location it`s what you do.
There is a more easy way also simply use backup and restore of windows. there will be a backup of all the settings even one before he deleted his user account.

Why is it people forget so much how useful backup and restore is in windows.
When you get such headaches as you describe it was put in there for the exact reason and answer you need to fix the problem Sigh !
It always get`s forgot about. for such situations that you have now.
Has a Light just come on after searching forums for endless hours going around in loops ?

If you run it and backup was enabled you will laugh to your self and say why didn`t I think of that.

I mean you can roll it back right to the first day windows 8.1 was installed if you wish. Hum.
Providing someone had enough sense not to disable the option in windows 8.

You won't know unless you try something. You can grab windows 10 now if you want. Unless you have an 8/8.1 key you are going to be SOL anyway when it comes time to upgrade. You won't be able to reinstall or anything just like now. Just upgrade with the same issue.

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

I did in fact create an account, 2 to be precise, and it is an admin account, with all the rights and stuff, but still all the apps and PC settings minimize and do nothing else....so yeah....I did it through the control panel, create Windows account, e mail and stuff...got all the basic apps on it, fresh desktop and whatnot, but still had "error" next to all of them....
And about backup, I didn't forget to do anything since the problem started before I got my hands on the laptop, right?...and restore point is useless if you don't have a disk, but you do have missing files...at least that's my experience with Win7, don't know about 8.1 tho

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

well I am trying...I don't have the key....damn....

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

he didin't wipe the hard drive (didn't have anything on it anyway), he just deleted his admin account (and every other account) before I had a chance to create mine and transfer the admin on it....he didn't figure it'd s***w things up I guess

yea most people at this point would just go ahead and just reinstall windows because it sounds like deleting all the user accounts really messed up windows. if he was smart he would have removed the password and took his name off his existing account. mind you i don't think its impossible to solve but it is going to hell hell getting the user profile back to normal.

To get your windows licence key go use magic jellybean key finder run in windows, it will find the legit and valid licence key.
click bellow to download. The original windows 8.1 licence key, or windows 8.1 upgrade key should be shown . write it down.
Then all you need is the right version of windows 8 the same as installed on the laptop at the moment Basic, pro ect.
As long as you havethe dvd or Usb boot able pen drive. you can then do a clean install if you wish.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Solved.ehem.

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

well, it wouldn't be a problem if the Microsoft didn't figure that it's time to change a perfectly working User Account interface/settings....it looks like they've never heard that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" line....
yeah, my friend ain't much of a tech guy, he's the type that would search for "how to change desktop wallpaper"....he's a little dumb when it comes to technology...and to be honest, I also didn't think that so trivial thing could ruin the whole admin/app system....it's absurd that they've overlooked this type of problem that is one of the most probable to occur....

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

Great, I'll try it and report back, thanks

if that's the version of windows it originally came with you may not need the key. on some laptops the key is already encoded into the laptop's BIOS. if you are able to find a way into the bios check to see if it has anything called windows licence. if it does you don't have to worry about a key

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

Shaun o helped me with finding the key....and I've just checked, free upgrade doesn't require Windows key, and it will be a clean install, so that will do it I hope

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
Just checking now, I can download Windows Insider preview .iso and install Win 10, but I'm not sure if I will get the full version after that upon the release or will the preview even function correctly....so no go until the full release

Update: can't find Windows 8.1 download on the Windows web site....all it gives me is to sign up for a free Windows 10 upon release which I did a while ago.....am I missing something?...now that I have found the key, I can re-download the .iso, right?..

I told somebody you could do that before and was quickly corrected on the matter. Apparently you cannot use the retail installer to install with a OEM key. In past versions of windows you could do this but not windows 8/8.1 for whatever reason.

There is no harm in trying it though. It is located here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

When you boot from USB with it, it won't progress past the key entry step without the proper key, so you can't accidentally format and/or install without it. Who knows it might work.

Other than that I would contact asus about obtaining the iso for the laptop directly from them so you know it works.

night_hawk112

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
sRuhJDNQVlSCGp09OXHgbtA2VFirjKEvnGkHgUkgGHrzjJt1QHX5kF-DKOV01y51rHrc2NIKU2nOAgQ=w1342-h523

here's what I get when I try to run these commands:
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml

I'm not risking it....I've got the key, but it would be probably safer to contact ASUS and see about that original iso....