Question UNSOLVED: GPU/nvlddmkm error? A ton of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreens and rampant game crashes

ymi04060513

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread
Hi,
Since installing a new monitor yesterday afternoon, I've had rampant crashes in games such as Rocket League and Rust, the crashes seem to start after about an hour of playing (just an estimate) and then happened very frequently afterwards. Rust just crashed after about an hour of playing, and then I bluescreened to Kernel_Security_Check_Failure, and Rocket League last night crashed after about an hour and then probably once every 5 minutes.

I have an MSI GeForce GTX 2070 8GBs GPU, Ryzen 7 2700x CPU, Tomahawk B450, Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32gbs of 3200mhz DDR4 RAM, and a 240hz monitor (set at 240) and a 144 hz 2nd monitor.

The 240hz monitor is set to ~240hz and is the MSI G27C4X monitor, and this is the one I installed yesterday, and the second monitor is the MSI MAG241C 144hz monitor, which is my 2nd screen, set at 144hz. It seems like after installing this new monitor that's when the issues have started. Is there something I did wrong? I just unplugged my old Dell monitor, and then plugged in my new 240hz monitor and set it as my main display, and moved my 144hz monitor over as my secondary one. But I've been having a bluescreen problem...

The first of the bluescreens happened with a kernel_security_check_failure bluescreen, after this, I disabled my XMP profile and game boost in BIOS which was slightly overclocking my RAM and CPU. Then after this, I got an irql_not_less_or_equal blue screen. This was just a classic bluescreen and I didn't know how to move forward; I saw some things saying to rollback drivers but I chose to wait for someone else's opinion because all I did was plug in a new monitor, and toggled on and off an XMP/Gameboost profile which I've used in the past, I didn't think there were any different drivers to this. Then after about 2 hours of playing, I got another irql_not_less_or_equal bluescreen. This one was strange because it just flashed a little blue box with like half of the frowny face in the top left of my main monitor for a second, but I was able to identify it as the BSOD, then, it just restarted\ and then after the restart it BSOD'd again this time even stranger, where my main monitor had the classic BSOD explanation and loading bar, but my 2nd monitor, which I had open with a CPU heat reader, just kind of froze with the monitor on my wallpaper, and the CPU temp reader (the CPU temp hit about 71C max in a pretty intensive rust session so I don't think the temp is an issue.) with the loading bar and restarted, I powered down my PC and am now writing this from my laptop.

Last edited:

ymi04060513

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
Hi,

I know I've made a couple posts about this thus far but no one who has viewed my previous postings has helped me so I'm going to try to simplify this a little bit. I am seemingly stuck in an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreen loop almost, when booting my PC, it can last an hour or so, or sometimes, like just a couple minutes ago, it crashes after 2 minutes of being up. I've cleared the cache on my SSD, by going to device manage, then properties, etc. and clearing it. I've also run a windows memory diagnostic and that showed that there were no issues. But I don't know if that's helped. I have seen a couple of things online about going to the event viewer to get a better reason on why the crashes occur, I've gotten this picture (which is attached) but I don't know what any of this means. Before these 5 crashes I had my XMP profile and CPU kind of overclocked, then turned it off after a Kernel_Security_Check_Failure bluescreen.

https://ibb.co/sJck3G9 <- this is a clipping of my event viewer

Of my 5 or so crashes from last afternoon till now, most of them look like this, with Kernel-Power 41 (63) being the thing that causes the shut-down. I don't know where to go from here.

ymi04060513

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
Hi,

I know I've made a couple posts about this thus far but no one who has viewed my previous postings has helped me so I'm going to try to simplify this a little bit. I am seemingly stuck in an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreen loop almost, when booting my PC, it can last an hour or so, or sometimes, like just a couple minutes ago, it crashes after 2 minutes of being up. I've cleared the cache on my SSD, by going to device manage, then properties, etc. and clearing it. I've also run a windows memory diagnostic and that showed that there were no issues. But I don't know if that's helped. I have seen a couple of things online about going to the event viewer to get a better reason on why the crashes occur, I've gotten this picture (which is attached) but I don't know what any of this means. Before these 5 crashes I had my XMP profile and CPU kind of overclocked, then turned it off after a Kernel_Security_Check_Failure bluescreen.

https://ibb.co/sJck3G9 <- this is a clipping of my event viewer

Of my 5 or so crashes from last afternoon till now, most of them look like this, with Kernel-Power 41 (63) being the thing that causes the shut-down. I don't know where to go from here.
And somethign i forgot to mention which may have been a massive oversight, this all seems to have started after installing the new NVIDIA driver through GeForce experience for my rtx 2070, is there a way to uninstall the latest driver download and rollback to my previous one? Ive read that this IRQL is typically a GPU problem, and I feel like a rollback to right before my crashes started, where I hadn't yet updated my GPU drivers, could be the most likely fix to this problem.

Dec 27, 2023
A very vague detailed post. I will try my best to answer this clearly.

Several solutions this could have. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is an error basically saying "EEK! SOMETHING'S TRYING TO GIVE ME A REQUEST THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO! ABORT!"
Your event log being full of the kernel power down errors are just saying it crashed.
Try keeping your computer on but not playing a game, and see if thats the problem.

If it still does the BSOD, run CMD as admin (type CMD in type here to search, on the right hand side click "Run as Admin" then type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and wait for it to give you the results. Post them here.

ymi04060513

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
A very vague detailed post. I will try my best to answer this clearly.

Several solutions this could have. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is an error basically saying "EEK! SOMETHING'S TRYING TO GIVE ME A REQUEST THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO! ABORT!"
Your event log being full of the kernel power down errors are just saying it crashed.
Try keeping your computer on but not playing a game, and see if thats the problem.

If it still does the BSOD, run CMD as admin (type CMD in type here to search, on the right hand side click "Run as Admin" then type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and wait for it to give you the results. Post them here.
Okay, fantastic, I'm gonna run it while I'm about and see what happens; sorry for the vagueness. I have another posting from yesterday which is more thorough, but I decided to create a new one because this is a different issue than what I was originally posting about.

Last edited by a moderator:

ymi04060513

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
Have you done it yet?
I've just returned home from going out; it seems as though it hasn't crashed. It's very strange, seeing that when I booted this morning, it bsod'd in like 5 minutes of surfing, but here it lasted about 2 hours on its own without a crash. View Event logs look good, I'm going to have to leave in about an hour for a couple of hours, so I'm gonna keep it running up until that point, I can leave it running while I'm gone as well if you think that's a good idea. For this next hour, should I idle it or go into the game and see what happens? Although it hasn't bluescreened yet, can I still do the cmd prompt instructions you gave me? Or should I do that as my first action after a bluescreen, even if the bluescreen happened while I was AFK?

Dec 27, 2023
Well, I ran it nonetheless, I don't know if I'm supposed to do this immediately after a bluescreen but its been about 4 hours since the last one and I got this result:

https://ibb.co/HpmHG7D

If it bluescreens again later this afternoon, I'll run this immediately after and send over the results once again.
You won't need to run it after that.

It might be a problem with your graphics card.

ymi04060513

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
You won't need to run it after that.

It might be a problem with your graphics card.
Oh crap, well, what can I do? Do you think its linked to the fact that I updated my driver, and then a couple hours later thats when the crashes started? Thats the only GPU changes that have happened in this whole debacle.

Dec 27, 2023
Oh crap, well, what can I do? Do you think its linked to the fact that I updated my driver, and then a couple hours later thats when the crashes started? Thats the only GPU changes that have happened in this whole debacle.
Probably. Do you know how to downgrade your graphics driver? If not, can I have the graphics info (you can see this by running a program like GPU-Z) I know you provided info but this can provide advanced one. If you are using GPU-Z just screenshot the first page, please.

ymi04060513

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
Probably. Do you know how to downgrade your graphics driver? If not, can I have the graphics info (you can see this by running a program like GPU-Z) I know you provided info but this can provide advanced one. If you are using GPU-Z just screenshot the first page, please.
Certainly, I can't say I'm too familiar with how to downgrade; I went to device manager and then to my 2070 and then went to, I believe, the button was 'roll back driver', but it was grayed out.

Here is my 1st page of GPU-Z:
(If this is not the right thing, I'm more than happy to resend whatever you need, you're helping me out a lot, so thanks a ton)

https://ibb.co/zhNpNbQ

Dec 27, 2023
Aight. This will be really simple, luckily for you.

Go to type here to search and type "Device Manager" Click on (well, this should be obvious) Device manager. Now, click on Display Adapters. Right click on your nvidia driver and click on Properties. Go to Driver (at the top) and hit Roll Back Driver.

ymi04060513

Honorable
Nov 24, 2018
Aight. This will be really simple, luckily for you.

Go to type here to search and type "Device Manager" Click on (well, this should be obvious) Device manager. Now, click on Display Adapters. Right click on your nvidia driver and click on Properties. Go to Driver (at the top) and hit Roll Back Driver.
yeah thats what I was saying before, this option is grayed out for me... No clue why.

https://ibb.co/cb0b8Qx