Question Unstable 2.4Ghz/5Ghz network

Dec 3, 2019
Recently, after upgrading a few of my home devices to ones that support the "ac" wifi standard, I have decided to activate the 5Ghz network alongside with the 2.4Ghz in my router (ASUS AC51U) and access point (ASUS RP AC51). At first I tried setting up two combined channels for my router and ap, but that proved to be ineffective, since the network speed became unbearably slow and unstable. Therefore, I tried separating the two networks into 4 channels (2x2.4Ghz + 2x5Ghz), which proved to be a little more stable, but not significant. What am I doing wrong here? The internet speed is around 75 Mbps. Is segmentation what's causing the slowdown? How can I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network and keep the optimal speed and performance?

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

What was the original internet speed (beyond 75Mbps)? What wireless configuration was being used when you had higher speeds?

Question: "At first I tried setting up two combined channels for my router and ap [app]".

What app?

Not sure, per se, that you are doing anything wrong.

5 GHz is faster. 2.4 GHz works when there are more obstructions,

Trying to combine frequency and channels for one wireless data path could be counterproductive.

But I am curious about the source information (i.e., the app) .

Dec 3, 2019
Hi @Ralston18, thanks for the response.

What was the original internet speed (beyond 75Mbps)? What wireless configuration was being used when you had higher speeds?
The speed of my internet package is 75Mbps. I've been using ASUS AC51U and RPAC51 for a few years now, but the 5Ghz signal was disabled. I don't use the router/switch provided by my carrier.

Question: "At first I tried setting up two combined channels for my router and ap [app]".

What app?
Sorry if I caused any confusion there. I meant access point (ap). That's the RPAC51.

5 GHz is faster. 2.4 GHz works when there are more obstructions,

Trying to combine frequency and channels for one wireless data path could be counterproductive.
To clarify a bit further. I have a router in my living room and an access point in my hallway which is connected to the router via ethernet cable. It all worked fine, until I enabled the 5Ghz signal in both devices. The internet then became unstable and slow; sometimes I couldn't even connect to the network, even though it was showing the signal was strong. At that point I tried separating the networks into two channels (2.4+5) for the living room and two channels (2.4+5) for the hallway and surrounding rooms, but that barely helped anything.

I live in a small apartment, so I guess there shouldn't be any obstacles for the 5Ghz signal. It wasn't working properly even when I was right in front of the router.

I guess the question is, can I even afford to have the 5Ghz signal enabled with the current internet speed and equipment?

Last edited: