[SOLVED] Unstable (?) A-XMP RAM

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I never OC any memory before. this is my first time on my new build, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

1. bought and built a new PC, Ryzen powered X570 last week. also bought new RAM, G Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz.
  2. after built, I immediately ran overall benchmark (userbenchmark), turns out my RAM is performing below expectation. and they said I can get more by turning on XMP from my BIOS.
  3. reboot and entered the BIOS (MSI Click Bios 5), the A-XMP is on top of the screen, with big button and 2 profile.
  4. selected profile 1 as it set my memory max clock to 3600MHz, save and reboot.
  5. but then multiple BSOD happens. at first, I thought my SSD's failing. but I remembered bad memory can also trigger BSOD like this.
  6. reboot back to BIOS, and selected Profile 2 as it set my memory max clock to 3330MHz (?), save and reboot.
  7. I'm able to boot to Windows without any BSOD, then I began to think why my memory can't handle clock @ 3600MHz.
  8. from my knowledge of GPU OC, which is:
-more clock equals more power/voltage​
-if power/voltage given failed to meet minimum requirements of the max clock, the GPU will crash/start emitting artifacts​
is this also the case with my RAM? do I need to manually set the power/voltage on BIOS? if yes, then how can I know how much I would need for it? any answer would be appreciated.

Solution
So I shouldn't push my RAM to 3600MHz? or it's simply impossible to do?
On their site GSKILL do not indicate a single X570 motherboard from any manufacturer equiped with a
Ryzen 2700 as compatible with 3600 Mhz. They clearly think that the CPU is the limiting factor (it contains the memory controller).
Why would they do that ? After all their interest is selling quicker and more expensive kits!
I would leave it on Profile 2.
I never OC any memory before. this is my first time on my new build, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

1. bought and built a new PC, Ryzen powered X570 last week. also bought new RAM, G Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz.
  2. after built, I immediately ran overall benchmark (userbenchmark), turns out my RAM is performing below expectation. and they said I can get more by turning on XMP from my BIOS.
  3. reboot and entered the BIOS (MSI Click Bios 5), the A-XMP is on top of the screen, with big button and 2 profile.
  4. selected profile 1 as it set my memory max clock to 3600MHz, save and reboot.
  5. but then multiple BSOD happens. at first, I thought my SSD's failing. but I remembered bad memory can also trigger BSOD like this.
  6. reboot back to BIOS, and selected Profile 2 as it set my memory max clock to 3330MHz (?), save and reboot.
  7. I'm able to boot to Windows without any BSOD, then I began to think why my memory can't handle clock @ 3600MHz.
  8. from my knowledge of GPU OC, which is:
-more clock equals more power/voltage​
-if power/voltage given failed to meet minimum requirements of the max clock, the GPU will crash/start emitting artifacts​
is this also the case with my RAM? do I need to manually set the power/voltage on BIOS? if yes, then how can I know how much I would need for it? any answer would be appreciated.
Knowing the exact model of all your equipment would help ...
Especially RAM, Motherboard, CPU, PSU

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Knowing the exact model of all your equipment would help ...
Especially RAM, Motherboard, CPU, PSU
Hi, thanks for your reply
my PC spec would be:

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO
RAM: G SKILL TridentZ RGB 3600, 16GB 2 Slot 2 / 4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair TX 750M 750Watt

Hi, thanks for your reply
my PC spec would be:

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO
RAM: G SKILL TridentZ RGB 3600, 16GB 2 Slot 2 / 4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair TX 750M 750Watt
Well, did you notice that on the G.skill configurator site for you motherboard + CPU combination (a series 2000) https://www.gskill.com/configurator...el=1562839944&adSearch2=Capacity§16GB (8GBx2),
they propose a maximum RAM speed of 3200 MhZ ? Roughly equivalent to your Profile 2. from their point of vue 3600 MHz is not compatible.
So, the best you can do is leaving XMP enabled with Profile 2, and trying to slowly increase MHz manually. And see what happens.
And on the motherboard's QVL https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X570-A-PRO#support-mem-14 no RAM reference for 3600 MHz is given (3466 MHz Max.).

Reactions: dnm_13

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Well, did you notice that on the G.skill configurator site for you motherboard + CPU combination (a series 2000) https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=1&cls=1529635169&manufacturer=1524715120&chipset=1562635091&model=1562839944&adSearch2=Capacity§16GB (8GBx2),
they propose a maximum RAM speed of 3200 MhZ ? Roughly equivalent to your Profile 2. from their point of vue 3600 MHz is not compatible.
So, the best you can do is leaving XMP enabled with Profile 2, and trying to slowly increase MHz manually. And see what happens.
And on the motherboard's QVL https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X570-A-PRO#support-mem-14 no RAM reference for 3600 MHz is given (3466 MHz Max.).
Thanks for your reply again.

Hmm, weird. On the package, there's "3600" on its name (G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C19 2x8GB)

And what is QVL? idk much about motherboard but I'm certain that my motherboard supports memory clock @ 3600MHz, at least its profile 1 clock my memory to 3600, if that's what you mean.

And how can I increase the MHz manually? can you give me something as OC reference? since I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here, but I still want to try achieve 3600MHz

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply again.

Hmm, weird. On the package, there's "3600" on its name (G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C19 2x8GB)

And what is QVL? idk much about motherboard but I'm certain that my motherboard supports memory clock @ 3600MHz, at least its profile 1 clock my memory to 3600, if that's what you mean.

And how can I increase the MHz manually? can you give me something as OC reference? since I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here, but I still want to try achieve 3600MHz

Thanks in advance.
QVL means Qualified Vendor List . it is the list of RAM sticks that have been tested by MSI and work with your MoBo. I gave the link to this QVL. You can see that no 3600 Mhz RAM is present on that list. The fact that the 3600 Mhz is detected as such is because the MoBo simply reads the XMP profile from the sticks; it does not mean that it is capable to function at that speed.
In fact the results you obtained with Profile 2 is very close to the potential maximum that can be reasonably expected by this MoBo / CPU combination

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
QVL means Qualified Vendor List . it is the list of RAM sticks that have been tested by MSI and work with your MoBo. I gave the link to this QVL. You can see that no 3600 Mhz RAM is present on that list. The fact that the 3600 Mhz is detected as such is because the MoBo simply reads the XMP profile from the sticks; it does not mean that it is capable to function at that speed.
In fact the results you obtained with Profile 2 is very close to the potential maximum that can be reasonably expected by this MoBo / CPU combination

On their site GSKILL do not indicate a single X570 motherboard from any manufacturer equiped with a
Ryzen 2700 as compatible with 3600 Mhz. They clearly think that the CPU is the limiting factor (it contains the memory controller).
Why would they do that ? After all their interest is selling quicker and more expensive kits!

Last edited:
Reactions: dnm_13
Solution

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
okay then, i will leave it on profile 2 too
thanks! ^^