[SOLVED] Unstable ethernet connection, tried like everything and still nothing.

Apr 29, 2022
Hello, last week I've a crazy problem with my connection. It shows that I've internet but when I load web pages I get "The connection has timed out" 3-4 times then page loads slowly. Discord sometimes loads sometimes no, steam connects for few minutes then goes off then can work for 1-2 hours then again off. Its so unstable. I've dual boot with linux the same happens to linux as well.
I tried to:
  • Change ethernet connector on router.
  • Check ethernet cable on switcher, and a tried all ports.
  • Change DNS server, and tried ton on firefox settings.
  • Plug my router/pc/switcher off for long time and connect them back.
  • I've no firewall, virus or something.
  • My wifi connection works perfectly, and other ethernet computers in my network work perfect as well.
  • Tried to: netsh winsock reset catalog - netsh int ip reset reset.log - netsh advfirewall reset - ipconfig /flushdns - ipconfig /registerdns - route /f
  • Update drivers.
Totally nothing, i cant find a fix, any clue?

Solution
So does the port go disconnected state or are you just getting poor response.

I would try to use either 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for the DNS server, set it in the end machine ipv4 settings. Make sure the browser is not over riding the DNS setting. Most browsers now support encrypted DNS and you can use a different DNS in the browser than the machine uses.

While you are changing stuff try to also turn off the IPv6 since that can cause strange issues when it uses a mix of ipv4 and ipv6.

If the port is going disconnect then it means you have some physical problem. This is almost always a bad cable. Many times this is due to all the fake cables sold. Be sure your cable is pure copper (no cca) and has wire size 22-24 (none of the flat...
So does the port go disconnected state or are you just getting poor response.

I would try to use either 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for the DNS server, set it in the end machine ipv4 settings. Make sure the browser is not over riding the DNS setting. Most browsers now support encrypted DNS and you can use a different DNS in the browser than the machine uses.

While you are changing stuff try to also turn off the IPv6 since that can cause strange issues when it uses a mix of ipv4 and ipv6.

If the port is going disconnect then it means you have some physical problem. This is almost always a bad cable. Many times this is due to all the fake cables sold. Be sure your cable is pure copper (no cca) and has wire size 22-24 (none of the flat or thin cable). It could also just be the end is just slightly loose and things like heat is causing it to disconnect internally. You cheapest thing to try is to buy a quality cable, you do not need anything better than cat5e, critical is that it be copper with the proper wire size.

Solution
Apr 29, 2022
I use 8.8.8.8, I've the same problem with all browsers. Imagine when tried to post a comment on a forum i get "an error occured" 2-3 times to allow me.
The weird thing is that in games i've 70ms no lag at all, but the whole system is so laggy.
The cables from router -> switcher are in wall and i cant change them but I changed the connector plugs today still the same problem.
I've good quality cable that i changed 2-3 times from switcher -> computer but nothing.
Im out of ideas, i dont know what is going on.

Are there different devices also plugged into the switch or just this computer. Do the other devices also have issues.

You could try a long cable strung over the floor to test to be sure the wall stuff is not the issue. Although not common the keystones can get wires loose or maybe there is damage to the jack itself some way.

If you do a IPCONFIG /all and the port does not show disconnected then it is more likely it is the cable between the switch and the wall. BUT if other devices plugged into the switch are not affected then it is likely something else.

Because you tried linux you have already done what I recommend when you think it is some garbage in windows. This has eliminated most the bloatware apps in windows that cause issues like this.