[SOLVED] Unstable FPS, Contantly Stutters

Eph3mera

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Hello, I need help improving my FPS.
After installing the new PC using some components from old PC, I started to have stutters and quite unstable FPS.
For example: Walking around in GTAV can give decent >60 FPS, but when driving around fast or something exploded, the FPS goes down to 30, or even 20.
This is perfectly ruining my experience, I need help!
My computer spec:
CPU: Intel i5 6400
Motherboard: Asus ROG H270F Gaming
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Armor 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400 in dual channel (Downclocked to 2133 because of 6th CPU limitations.)
Storage: Micron Crucial MX500 - 250GB and 500GB

Last edited:
Solution
dual channel isnt causing fps fluctuations.
maybe a drop in overall fps, but not sudden changes, and since the card has 6gb of ram,
as well as running only at 1080p, it wont swap out to the ram, so unless ram is defective, its not the issue.

at 1080p and below, the bottleneck usually moves from the gpu to the cpu (most games).
try to crank up the ingame and nv panel settings towards quality (without AA),
and see if it helps. if it does, try maxing out the settings, dial it back a bit if fps gets too low.
otherwise i suspect a hardware issue (gpu/pci slot/psu etc), as you stated it only started recently.
you can try swapping the pci slot to a different one, even if its only 8x.
most of the time will actually improve performance vs 16x...

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
any changes made prior to seeing the problem show up?
what res/Hz are you playing at?
use something like msi's afterburner while gaming (has hardware monitoring)
for about 10 min and then look at the graphs.

Eph3mera

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
any changes made prior to seeing the problem show up?
what res/Hz are you playing at?
use something like msi's afterburner while gaming (has hardware monitoring)
for about 10 min and then look at the graphs.
I’m using 60Hz and it’s 1080p
The graph shows unstable FPS , what can I do?
unknown.png

12gb RAM? Are you sure it's operating in dual channel?
One 8GB 2400 and one 4GB 2133, both plugged at the dual channel RAM slot.
unknown.png

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
maybe a drop in overall fps, but not sudden changes, and since the card has 6gb of ram,
as well as running only at 1080p, it wont swap out to the ram, so unless ram is defective, its not the issue.

at 1080p and below, the bottleneck usually moves from the gpu to the cpu (most games).
and see if it helps. if it does, try maxing out the settings, dial it back a bit if fps gets too low.
otherwise i suspect a hardware issue (gpu/pci slot/psu etc), as you stated it only started recently.
most of the time will actually improve performance vs 16x (even with a 1080ti),
as you have less overhead etc.

Solution

Eph3mera

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Your CPU is maxed out. 4 core/4 threads not cutting it. Add in slow 2100mhz RAM and here you are.
You mean I should replace the 2133 stick with the 2400 one to fix my issue?

most of the time will actually improve performance vs 16x (even with a 1080ti),
as you have less overhead etc.
Wait, you have to switch the settings to the quality involved ones?
Well, I followed some YouTube videos to set up the control panel to ensure it is performing the best, but it didn't work somehow.

unknown.png

There are also some weird issues with GTAV
E01F370C3FAE0E7A7E717F4ABE6E6BC67316B2BC.png

Even with the "very high" texture, it seems to be glitching every time I play the game.
C86584EA908D107973C18E4D93019625B1283E95.png

With mismatched memory like that , you will not be running in pure dual channel mode. FLEX would only give you dual channel up to the matched amount of memory, after that you will switch to single channel mode in the mismatched size area. If your program is mapped across that memory space, there will be performance penalties as you switch back and forth .

To see some differences for GTA V single vs dual channel, a possibly helpful video showing the differences. In some areas there are quite large differences between single and dual channel modes

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8AdbIfTwDs

Eph3mera

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
With mismatched memory like that , you will not be running in pure dual channel mode. FLEX would only give you dual channel up to the matched amount of memory, after that you will switch to single channel mode in the mismatched size area. If your program is mapped across that memory space, there will be performance penalties as you switch back and forth .

To see some differences for GTA V single vs dual channel, a possibly helpful video showing the differences. In some areas there are quite large differences between single and dual channel modes

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8AdbIfTwDs
Okay, I’ll see if the problem gets solved after getting my new 8GB RAM.
Thank you for your time and assistance!

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
switch your settings from high performance to high quality. your doing the exact opposite of what your system needs (load on gpu, not the cpu)
crank af to 16x, games will ignore it if they don't support it.
set prerender to 3 max.
tyrn all optimization off and switch texture filter to HQ.
high performance mode on the gpu is not needed, only for games that produce very low load and would get the card to lower clocks over time, you dont have that problem, so adaptive is fine.
switch triple buffer on and multi threaded for the cpu as well.
run vsync on/adaptive.

Eph3mera

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Don't forget that you posted a screenshot of Afterburner with your CPU maxed out. There's not much more that can be done. The RAM may help to a degree, but you will still be on that edge.
This is strange that i5 6400 should be performing better than it is now.
switch your settings from high performance to high quality. your doing the exact opposite of what your system needs (load on gpu, not the cpu)
crank af to 16x, games will ignore it if they don't support it.
set prerender to 3 max.
tyrn all optimization off and switch texture filter to HQ.
high performance mode on the gpu is not needed, only for games that produce very low load and would get the card to lower clocks over time, you dont have that problem, so adaptive is fine.
switch triple buffer on and multi threaded for the cpu as well.
run vsync on/adaptive.
Woah, that’s some answers I didn’t expect.
Thanks for the help! I’ll surely try them out!

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
low quality/resolution usually means higher fps means higher cpu load/bottleneck.
one reason i crank up AF and the other settings to quali, then if i still have headroom
(e.g. constant + 60hz with vsync off (to see if there are fps drops), i then start using AA
ingame (if supported), and after that switch the NV AA to override and use max setting.
for older/low power games i set quali incl 16x AF, no AA but use DSR to run 4K/5K res,
stepping up in res (1.2x, 1.3x etc) until i see it dippin/drops below 60/30Hz.
then i switch the gpu to oc profile scanned by AB (oc vram first), and i get enough boost
so the fps is then steady..

Eph3mera

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Update: Upgrading the RAM helped a bit but the problem persists!
I took a look at the RTTS again, the CPU usage is always 100% for some reason, but the GPU usage is incredibly low!
unknown.png