[SOLVED] Unstable FPS on new m144Hz monitor

AquaralSS

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
So, its nice and fine but then thing is i get unstable fps ever since i got the 144hz monitor and its connected via display port.
I had smooth 60FpS with my old monitor with 1600x900 reso but then after switching yo 1080 reso and 144Hz enable things get really bad which include ubstable fps and also numeroua input delay. Game is rainbow six siege. even thou with all settings set to low, the fps issue is still there.

I was able to decrese the input lag and unstable fps by going to the nvida control panel, manage 3D settings, and set force refresh rate from "144Hz" to "Application Controlled" Ever since setting to that, i can win gunfights but then its still not convincing if the fps and input delay happens once in a while.

GTX970 4GB
I5 4460
8Gb Ram
Monitor https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.FX1AA.P01

Last edited:
Solution
doesn't fix either turning v sync on or off.
Is the GTX970 is too old or no capable for 144Hz?
The GPU is fine at least for low but probably even for good quality.
The I5 4460 isn't capable of steady 144hz ,you need much more than just 3,4 Ghz to get high FPS in every situation.
Lock FPS to 60 with RTSS (part of msi afterburner) and work your way up in increments of 5FPS until you reach the max steady FPS.
doesn't fix either turning v sync on or off.
Is the GTX970 is too old or no capable for 144Hz?
The I5 4460 isn't capable of steady 144hz ,you need much more than just 3,4 Ghz to get high FPS in every situation.
Lock FPS to 60 with RTSS (part of msi afterburner) and work your way up in increments of 5FPS until you reach the max steady FPS.

Reactions: AquaralSS
Solution

AquaralSS

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016

I have a feeling that it might be the problem. So, i already bought a i5 8400 just in case because i am planning to do an affordable upgrade after all.
I tried a lot of settings reviews and all, but occasionally still get freezes and stutter but not all the time.
Playing R6S

AquaralSS

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Need to know more info like what games he plays. If he's playing games like CS:GO or R6S then his setup is plenty for 144.

Play R6S. Which is not good if i get the occasion stutter/freezes, it is smooth most times but the input delay/stutter/freezes sometimes pop out.
Just to confirm, lets say, what i press on my i lean from left to right, but the delay is very noticeable which just pisses me off.
Its not there constantly, but it does occasionally pops that annoying stutter/freezes or delay.