[SOLVED] unstable gpu usage 0% to 40% to 90%

Dec 16, 2020
I have just realised this whole time my gpu have only been using half of its power I have done a few things including over clocking and have gained some frames and uncapped it from 50 to go up to 80-90 but still not 100. most of the time it averages 40% and drops to 0 and goes to 80 which causes lots of lag and I'm not sure how to fix it

GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600
RAM: 6GB
MOTHERBOARD: DELL Optiplex 990

Solution
While 4cores/8threads are decent still, the IPC of a 2nd gen Intel CPU from 9 years ago, stuck at 3.6Ghz (no overclocking available) is a limitation. Some games are inherently more CPU-bound (better/faster CPU = higher FPS) and some are more GPU-bound (CPU doesn't make much difference in FPS)

What game(s) are you having these issues with?

Have you checked for updated GPU drivers?

Your options for improvement:
  • Checking the RAM to make sure it's running in dual channel mode (CPUz will tell you this)
  • Buy more RAM
  • Get a CPU that's not 9 years old.
CPU bottleneck. (The CPU could also be limited by your 6GB of RAM which may or may not be running in dual channel mode).

The GPU can only do work once the CPU sends it a draw call for what to render in the next/upcoming frame. No draw call = GPU waiting.

Dec 16, 2020
CPU bottleneck. (The CPU could also be limited by your 6GB of RAM which may or may not be running in dual channel mode).

The GPU can only do work once the CPU sends it a draw call for what to render in the next/upcoming frame. No draw call = GPU waiting.
is there nothing I can do to fix this then?

While 4cores/8threads are decent still, the IPC of a 2nd gen Intel CPU from 9 years ago, stuck at 3.6Ghz (no overclocking available) is a limitation. Some games are inherently more CPU-bound (better/faster CPU = higher FPS) and some are more GPU-bound (CPU doesn't make much difference in FPS)

• Checking the RAM to make sure it's running in dual channel mode (CPUz will tell you this)
  • Buy more RAM

Solution

• Buy more RAM

He's right, this is 100% a CPU/RAM bottleneck. The rest of your PC is holding back your RX 570. Unfortunately, there is no 'quick fix' for this and the usual recommendations of updating drivers, reinstalling windows, cleaning the dust out of your GPU etc. etc. aren't going to help. In order to get your GPU working to full capacity you'll need a modern 6 core /12 thread CPU like a Ryzen 3600 /5600x (and matching motherboard) with 16 GB of RAM (2x 8 GB RAM).