[SOLVED] Unstable Internet on PC ethernet/wifi

Nov 16, 2019
Hi, all,

For the last two months I've been grappling with this problem that I can't explain. My internet connection on my desktop PC keeps dropping every 10-60 seconds. The internet will go out for about 10 seconds, then come back and behave as normal. Besides being generally annoying, this means that I'm unable to play any games online (the lost connection usually kicks me back to the menu).

The problem exists on ethernet and wifi, both via wifi extender and plugged in directly to the router. My drivers are up to date, and I've tried multiple ethernet cables, too, all with the same issue. I've also tried secondary wifi extenders, installed a new wifi card on my motherboard, and had a technician come by to check that the modem and router were working correctly. I've had no issues with any of my other devices on this connection.

Any idea what might be going on? I'm really not sure what else to try.

These are my computer specs.

Many, many thanks to anyone that might have any pointers!

Solution
Retire it? After three years? I sure hope not, and nothing on the spec page says retiring is needed...
how and why would your PC specs even mention if your hardware is damaged and/or has malfunctioned?

if still under warranty and RMA is an option of course you would go that route. the standard warranty for a high end motherboard is 3 years. for regular class, 1 year. for any grade pre-built systems, it is regularly 1 year.
i've had similar problems over the years. some times it would be a failing modem, sometimes it would be a problem with the ISP directly, other times it would be the motherboard
with your situation; if you really have had all the possibilities you claim checked out and found to be okay, i would guess it is the motherboard itself. not the wifi card you have plugged in or it's ethernet port(s). but the actual motherboard's ability to use either.
try updating or reflashing to current bios. if still not functioning correctly, it may just be time to retire it.

Nov 16, 2019
Hi, Ketchup:
  1. Yeah, the problem still occurs with the computer plugged in directly to the modem.
  2. I've reset the router and modem multiple times across the past two months, with no positive effect.
  3. Nope, just this PC that has this problem, and it behaved fine on this internet for about two years.
John:
Thanks so much for the feedback- what you're saying is what I've been afraid of, but you're probably right. It's just a three-year-old motherboard, which is too bad.

Thanks to you both!

Retire it? After three years? I sure hope not, and nothing on the spec page says retiring is needed. Based on all you have tried with adding wifi cards, I do question the "just this PC that has the problem" line. Are other computers on your network but into such a demanding situation, or are they just doing fine surfing the web?

Nov 16, 2019
Hi, Ketchup,

Yes, I've tried the exact same games on other computers on the network and they've behaved perfectly. The problem definitely seems contained to the PC.

Nov 16, 2019
Another good question I forgot to address! I was originally using Avast, but have since tried using it with Windows Defender, and with both temporarily shut off. The problem's continued throughout. Also ran a full system scan with Malwarebytes.

Has Malwarebytes been running constantly in the background? Or is it relatively new?
And the AV is probably not what you want to worry about as much as the firewall for testing this issue. Get a free trial of Norton Internet Security (hopefully they still offer such) and see if there is a change.

Reactions: _tafpi_
Retire it? After three years? I sure hope not, and nothing on the spec page says retiring is needed...
how and why would your PC specs even mention if your hardware is damaged and/or has malfunctioned?

if still under warranty and RMA is an option of course you would go that route. the standard warranty for a high end motherboard is 3 years. for regular class, 1 year. for any grade pre-built systems, it is regularly 1 year.

Solution