[SOLVED] Unstable performance with new build

Gedy

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014
Hi all!

I am sorry if I am asking this in a wrong place but I can't get my head around something and was wandering if I am doing something wrong. System spec for reference.

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5Ghz
GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE RADEON RX 570 4G GDDR5 DUAL HDMI / DVI-D / DUAL DP OC W/BP (UEFI)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H V2, AM4, DDR4 3200, USB 3.1, DVI-D/HDMI
PSU:Silverstone ATX PSU SST-ET550-B, 550W 80 Plus Bronze, Low Noise 120mm
RAM: Patriot Viper Elite DDR4 8GB KIT (2X4GB) 2800MHZ CL16-16-16-36 RED
SSD Kingston 240GB

I have recently built a new budget gaming PC (first one for me). Everything is okay, the system runs, however I have a few issues about OC and FPS in games.

1. OC issue. So I have tried a simple overclock after reading a bit about it. I have first used the Gigabyte Easy Tune software and with one click I OC my CPU to 3.7 GHz .It was okay at first but then I realized that the Ryzen 2200G has a turbo boost to 3.7Ghz so I though there is no point to OC. I have then tried to use Ryzen Master Software to OC the CPU to 3.8 Ghz. After increasing the Ghz it asked me to restart the PC so I thought okay. After restart the PC went off. I pressed the button to start but it would turn on for 1 second and shut it self off again. So I thought okay I must have screwed up something so I have reset the BIOS by touching the 2 pins on the MOBO (CMOS). The computer turned on just fine and I went back to Ryzen Master the profile with 3.8 Mhz was active and running. So I was not sure where the problem was. This happened several times and my question is why? The second thing is that after OC when I am in game for example League of Legends my screen just freezes I can hear sounds and everything but can't do anything the only thing I can do is restart my computer. Since my monitor is plugged in to GPU I assume that the GPU crashes but this does not happen if I don't do any OC. Again why is this happening is it because of my voltage or a bad PSU? By the way I have run a simple stress test using CPUID powerMax and with 3.8Ghz and stock cooler my temps went to max 72 Celsius.
  2. FPS. I have seen videos on Youtube where people with the same rig get 200+ FPS in League of Legends with drops to 140-150 FPS. My self I am getting between 95-120 FPS and it is constantly jumping. I see people in the video start with high FPS like 200 and I start my game with 70 FPS and as soon I start moving it goes up to 100-110. I understand that having more than 60 FPS in these type of game is more than enough but I was just wandering why people with the same builds get more than I do. Also the GPU fans rarely spin but I assume that is because it is not reaching any high temperatures.

Some things that I have done is I have enable XMP profile in BIOS so that my Ram runs at 2800Mhz as I know that Ryzen CPUs like memory. All I did is changes the profile. I have updated all my drivers as well to make sure everything is up to date as well.

Any insights will be useful as I would like my system to run nicely :D I know it is not expensive built and I can't expect a lot but you can see from the example given that I am definitely doing something wrong. If you need any more info just ask I am happy to provide anything that you guys need :) Thanks in advance!

Solution
I have brought back my CPU to normal clocks now. However, I never increased the voltage. The only thing I did is decreased it to 1.3 and then to 1.35. Ryzen master software defaults it to 1.4. However in every scenario I got the same issue where I could not turn on my PC without reseting BIOS. IO have checked built compatibility before building everything seems to be okay. That is why I am thinking why is it under performing and having issues with OC..
Well kinda hard question for me but wait i might know whats wrong> amd 2000 line cpus are the best compatible with X470 and B450 chip mobos heres a link for reference> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MWzJMZ

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Soo alright first thing for you NOT to do at this moment is that dont try increasing your cpu voltage because that can cause some damage to cpu. try bringig cpu back to its normal clocks, And last but not least if you didnt overclock your gpu it should be fine. Also for future here is a site where you can check your build for compatability> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Reactions: Gedy

Gedy

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014
Soo alright first thing for you NOT to do at this moment is that dont try increasing your cpu voltage because that can cause some damage to cpu. try bringig cpu back to its normal clocks, And last but not least if you didnt overclock your gpu it should be fine. Also for future here is a site where you can check your build for compatability> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I have brought back my CPU to normal clocks now. However, I never increased the voltage. The only thing I did is decreased it to 1.3 and then to 1.35. Ryzen master software defaults it to 1.4. However in every scenario I got the same issue where I could not turn on my PC without reseting BIOS. IO have checked built compatibility before building everything seems to be okay. That is why I am thinking why is it under performing and having issues with OC..

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Well kinda hard question for me but wait i might know whats wrong> amd 2000 line cpus are the best compatible with X470 and B450 chip mobos heres a link for reference> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MWzJMZ

Solution

Gedy

Honorable
Jun 12, 2014

That's okay. Yes, I saw this. But this compatibility issue would not be the case ad it is referring to the BIOS update. The mobo I bought is ready for ryzen 2000 so no update was required to make everything work. I did however updated the BIOS later. I see if any else replies with any ideas. Thanks!

Overclocking I would do through the bios. Not software like ryzen master. Do a small bump at a time.

You want to run a stress test, something like Intel burn test to see if it seems stable. You can use hwmonitor or maybe ryzen master to watch temps. Just increase a little at a time. After you get to the max you are comfortable, you might run a longer stress test. Others can recommend some, but prime 95 used to be popular. If it's stable and cool enough after a while, you might be ok. If not, you'd want to reduce your overclock a little.

Keep a sharp eye on temps, especially with the smaller cooler that comes with the 2200g.

Reactions: Gedy

TRENDING THREADS