Unstable system, AMD 8350 Core- and socket temps on load ok?

Duplex

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
My system is currently unstable and I'm doing some fault isolation.
It randomly restarts w/o BSOD, but more often "blackscreens" with no restart.
This seems to happen independant of load on system, it can freeze/restart even when idling.

I'm now running Prime95, the "In-place large FFTs (max heat, power consumption)" one.
Using HWmonitor CPU core temp shows a max of 64 celsius, while socket temp shows 45 degrees, the core temp looks pretty high?

I'm using the Corsair H60 watercooler for CPU.
Case temperature is 24 degrees.
Pretty sure I have good airflow in my cabinet with 1 120mm exhaust in the bask and 2x120mm intakes in front, the radiator and fan are mounted right behind the intake fans in front.

It seems to me that CPU theoretically should have pretty decent cooling, why are temps this high?
I used the credit card method on thermal paste (arctic silver 5) to even it out.

And lastly (and a little bit off-topic), can anyone take a glance on my PSU voltages? (XFX Pro series XXX edition 850W) Its been running for an hour and to me voltages seems pretty stable, only concern is that +3.3V showing stabile 3.16V?

ji33.png

AshyCFC

Honorable
these cpus are safe upto 70c but adviseable not to go above 65c

You're also in MAX HEAT test so this is the highest you're ever likely to go. These FX-8series chips do run hot anyway.

I for sure think you don't have a temp issue.

as for the PSU, an electrical expert can help you(post about it in the PSU section)

Please list the Psu you are using, it`s brand name and model number.

I have to ask you three very plain questions.

1. Have you just built the system and it is acting up, are all the parts new.
2. Is the PSU new, or is it an old one transferred from an older setup.

3. Did you install the chip set drivers for the board after you had installed windows.

Duplex

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Its a XFX Pro Series XXX edition 850w semi-modular PSU.

The PSU is about 6 months old and the only new part in my system is the water-cooler, tho
I replaced my cabinet so everything has been switched over from the old cabinet.

Yes, installed chipset drivers right after windows. I also did a format to exclude any windows errors, still same problems.

Ok the 3.3 is dipping a bit.

I would suggest going into the bios and if you can upping the voltage of the memory sticks in a few Mv steps.

3.3 always relates to the memory dimm slots of the board.
so if it happens when the system is at Idle or at work it would point to slighty under volted memory modules.
Have a check on the memory modules what the voltage is, and see what the bios says it`s set it to.
If it`s set wrong it will black screen.
Or if the memory is slightly under vol-ted

Check the speed and if the memory can use XMP mode enable it in the bios.

Duplex

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Ok, so I've manually upped the DRAM Voltage in bios to 1.5V, it seemed like it was set to 1.48V in Bios. Now its just waiting time to see if it resolved any issues?

Duplex

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Well, started playing Minecraft and pc restarted after 5 mins. I've now changed RAM speed to 1600 from 1333mhz. I also noticed BIOS claims +3.3v is running at 3.36v.

Duplex

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I've atleast concluded with that its no temperature issues, and it seems PSU is fine aswell. I've reinstalled RAM modules earlier and ran a memtest over night w/o any faults. I've tried different Graphic drivers with no result. I guess if I continue having issues its a faulty CPU or graphic car?
I failed to mention I swapped the CPU, I broke the last CPU when replacing the cooler.. Both CPU's are fx-8350 ones..

Duplex

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
My spec shows up on my avatar doesn't it?
Anyways, I've had some time now to test stability and none of the above worked.
I think I found the problem tho, I turned off every CPU power-saving features, thus stabilized vcore jumps alot.
I'm now on my 3. day without any restarts =)

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350 + Corsair H55
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 1600Mhz
PSU: XFX ProSeries XXX 850W
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 "Windforce"
HDD/SSD: Corsair Force 128GB SSD + a few 1TB HDD's