[SOLVED] Unsuccessful GPU upgrade - PSU prime suspect?

mjwhelan10

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
Hello! This is my first time to post here, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

As the thread title says, I recently acquired a [2nd hand] Sapphire Nitro R9 380X to replace my ageing ASUS HD 7850 so that I could give my system a few more years of life. Naturally, I followed the default procedure for a GPU upgrade, uninstalling existing drivers beforehand, ensuring everything was properly connected etc.

With the new card installed, I proceeded to power up the system. Everything looked okay internally - the new card appeared to be taking power, as its fans were spinning (along with the CPU and case fans and HDD). However, my monitor could not detect any display signal, so I could not tell if the system had booted successfully. In spite of this, there are normally some other telltale signs of a successful boot. For instance, my keyboard and mouse should light up, but they did not. Because of this, I can only assume that the POST was unsuccessful, although please correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried a number of things - using just one RAM stick, putting the 7850 back in (to verify the PCIe slot and HDMI cable were fully functional), and restoring the BIOS to default settings, but to no avail. So this leads me to believe, given that the system was taking power but getting no further, that my current PSU is just not enough for this card and my existing hardware. The PSU is an EVGA 500W1, 80+ White, 500 watt unit (which is the bare mimimum AMD recommends for this card). I had used the OuterVision PSU calculator to make sure I was within limits, but looking back now, I'm thinking the chance I took may have been too ambitious (I will list my specs below). It is what it is, and if I must upgrade to a more powerful PSU, I will.

TLDR: I suspect the R9 380X is too much for a 500W PSU. Can anyone concur?

If I have left out any significant information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

[Existing] PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400, 3.1GHz
Mobo: Intel DH61WW
RAM: 16GB DDR3, 1333MHz (2x 8GB)
HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB 7.2K RPM
GPU: ASUS HD7850 DC2 2GD5 V2
PSU: EVGA 500W1, 80+ White 500W

Last edited: