[SOLVED] unsupported cpu installed

Sep 27, 2020
I have an HP g5451sc PC with a Foxconn 2ABF motherboard. When I bought it it had the i3 2100 processor (socket 1155), these days I decided to upgrade it with an i5 2500k and the moment I start it with this processor before the windows open "unsupported cpu instaled Pc will automatically power down in a few seconds ". If I press the f1 key at the moment of this error, my windows open normally and everything goes in normal parameters, otherwise it closes itself. I want to specify that I have as components: 1 ssd, 1 hdd, gt 730 video card 2 gb 128 bit sddr3, dvd rw, and a 300w source (HP-d3006a0). What should I do to eliminate the so-called error?

Solution

It's a different model... you said in your first post that it's the HP g5451sc.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...G5400-Desktop-PC-series/5080749/model/5154276

There are no BIOS updates for the HP g5451sc as you can see.

Even if you update the BIOS it won't change the fact the motherboard supports a 65W TDP CPU.

I don't really get what's bothering you with that error. You're lucky that the BIOS actually allows you to run a 95W chip.

The only way you can avoid the error is actually swapping the i5-2500K with an i5-2500 or 2400 that actually has a 65W TDP.
It's quite strange that it even works.
Here's your motherboard specifications page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...ries/5080749/model/5154276/document/c02863122

At the Processor Upgrade Information you'll find:

Socket type: LGA 1155
TDP: Max 65W
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Core i3-2xxx/T dual core
Core i3-2xxx dual core
Core i5-2xxx quad core
Core i7-2xxx quad core

The board has a power delivery limitation and should only support 65W TDP CPUs... the i5-2500 is a 65W part, but the 2500K you've installed is a 95W part.

I don't believe there's anyway to make that error go away.

Even if it works I'd advise you to try a stress testing program like Prime95 with AVX disabled and see if that motherboard is stable with the 2500K. Also, monitor temperatures, clock speeds and CPU package power figures with HWINFO64(you could post the screenshots from the monitoring program here through imgur).

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020
QggG8xe.png

To monitor your CPU temperatures package power figures, clock speeds etc. only the sensors only checkbox needs to be ticked when starting HWinfo.

Run Prime95 for an hour or so and check those sensors readings carefully(again you can post them here aswell through a screenshot... I'm more interested in the CPU temperatures, motherboard temps and voltages, CPU Package power). If everything is within safe margins, then you should be safe running that 2500K. As I stated earlier you most likely won't be able to make the unsupported error go away... that's because as per HP specs that CPU is unsupported.

The link I sent should be your motherboard aswell... the HP g5451sc page points to this motherboard. I'd rather trust their specs compared to that website you linked.

From those screen grabs it looks like it's limiting it to what is essentially i5 2400 turbo speeds to keep within board tdp limits.

I don't see it being an issue apart from that boot error which is an annoyance at worst.

I'd be thankful it's actually accepting the cpu, although it's not that unusual considering the 2400/2500/2500k are literally the same cpu with different bade and turbo speeds.

Sep 27, 2020
I believe that once it works and I have an error I have to determine what that error can be from. I would consider it possible to be a power supply as well.

I believe that once it works and I have an error I have to determine what that error can be from. I would consider it possible to be a power supply as well.

It's not that... as I said the motherboard doesn't officially support that CPU as per HP specs. That's why you're getting that message... interesting thing is that their BIOS actually allows the CPU to be used, but gives the warning in return.

As @madmatt30 pointed out the motherboard is limiting the all core turbo of that 2500K to stay within it's power delivery limits at 65W.

It's a different model... you said in your first post that it's the HP g5451sc.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...G5400-Desktop-PC-series/5080749/model/5154276

There are no BIOS updates for the HP g5451sc as you can see.

Even if you update the BIOS it won't change the fact the motherboard supports a 65W TDP CPU.

I don't really get what's bothering you with that error. You're lucky that the BIOS actually allows you to run a 95W chip.

The only way you can avoid the error is actually swapping the i5-2500K with an i5-2500 or 2400 that actually has a 65W TDP.

Last edited:
Solution
You have two choices.
  1. replace the cpu with a 65w model.
  2. Tolerate the error message since all else seems to be ok.
Instead of shutting down, use sleep to ram instead.
That puts the pc into a very low power state, essentially close to a full power off.
As an added benefit, sleep/wake are very much quicker.