Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2019
Hey, first time posting as I wasn't able to find a concrete answer online (kept getting conflicting details and answers from videos and customer support).

I recently bought a new ASUS S15 S530FA vivobook to use for university with the intent of adding an additional SSD for extra storage/dual-booting. I was hoping that the 2.5" slot would have the SSD and the m.2 2280 slot would be free to just stick an SSD into but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The thing is I've never upgraded a laptop before, so I'm a bit out of my depth. So I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this.

1. The board itself says HDD and the connection doesn't resemble a SATA connection (it's not L-shaped, that said I've never actually seen a laptop SATA port so maybe it's different?). I've gotten answers from both sides saying you can/can't use an SSD and I'd just like to make sure.
  2. Based on the image, would I need to purchase a bracket for the SSD? I don't think so since most brackets are to accommodate 2.5" to 3.5" but it doesn't hurt to make sure. Again, I've gotten answers from both sides saying I do or don't need one, but I'm 99% sure I don't.

(Sorry about the terrible quality, I didn't realize it was so bad when I took it)
View: https://imgur.com/0oMp8cI

Solution
There's no SATA cable running to the HD bay. It is likely not included when an SSD is factory installed. If you intend to install an additional drive in that bay then you'll need that cable plus any additional hardware involved. Contact the manufacturer for pricing and availability. This is not something you can pick up just anywhere.
Aug 19, 2019
Laptops I've seen had SATA HDDs and that connector you see is another adapter that connects to the SATA on the HDD. They can easily be replaced by an SSD. No extra bracket needed because they are the same size.
So a standard SATA to whatever-port-that-is should work? This probably sounds like spoonfeeding, but does the port on the motherboard have a specific name? I'm having trouble finding anything resembling it.
Thanks for the quick reply.

There's no SATA cable running to the HD bay. It is likely not included when an SSD is factory installed. If you intend to install an additional drive in that bay then you'll need that cable plus any additional hardware involved. Contact the manufacturer for pricing and availability. This is not something you can pick up just anywhere.

Solution
Aug 19, 2019
Thanks man! Took them a while to get back to me but I found what I was after. The part number is 14010-00215400 and is compatible with most, if not all, of the X530 series/models

Aug 19, 2019
I recently bought a 2.5" 500GB SSD to add to my laptop which came pre-installed with a 250GB SSD in m.2 slot. I was just doing some final research/double-checking to make sure everything I was doing to add it was alright and it occurred to me that all that guides/videos I'd been reading/watching were for replacing a HDD. In hindsight I should've noticed that they were cloning their HDDs.

Anyways, my question is just to clarify I'll be doing nothing wrong. The process to add the SSD should just be remove the back of the laptop, connect the cable to the motherboard, then secure the SSD with screws/paper. There's no need to change boot order settings as the m.2 drive is the drive I intend to boot from anyways. I don't think any BIOS settings need to be changed really.

Laptop is an ASUS S15 S530FA though it shouldn't matter.

I think you should be able to add it just as you said.
(of course power down while you are doing this)
Although I would go to the BIOS after you add it and make sure it's recognized and then I would SAVE the BIOS....although I'm not 100% sure you have to save it....but I would anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
As long ass the laptop has a connection for the 2.5" drive, you need do nothing with the boot order or anything.

You might have to delve into Disk Management and Initialize,, or just create New Simple Volume on it.

Then, use as desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS