Question Unsure If I Need To Upgrade PSU

willow0501

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
Hi all, I recently bought a 4070 Founders edition and I'm not sure if I need a new PSU.
Here are all my specs.
CPU: I7-8700k
Motherboard: Z370 Aorus gaming 5
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB
GPU: 4070 Founders Edition
Storage: 250gb SSD, 1 TB HDD, 1 TB SSD
My current PSU is EVGA 600 B1 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
I'd rather not get a new power supply, and all the estimates have said it should only use anywhere from 450-500 W. However Nvidia's website for the founder's edition says 650W minimum.
Do you guys think I need a new PSU?
The graphics card has not come in yet, but how can I test if I need a new power supply when it does?

Solution
The Tier list is kind of confusing. Do you have any specific recommendations that might be on the cheaper side?

With a 4070, you really shouldn't have anything outside of the top tier.

The price of a sports car necessitates the cost of the insurance and maintenance. This is precisely the wrong place to ever cheap out. If it really is an issue where you can't get a quality PSU, utilize the 4070's return window, buy a less expensive GPU, and use the difference to buy an appropriate PSU for whatever GPU you buy (your current one should not be used in any new non-entry level GPU). Because cheap, group-regulated junk that's targeted towards basic office machines or very old PCs is not what you run a 4070 on, even temporarily.

DSzymborski

Titan
The Tier list is kind of confusing. Do you have any specific recommendations that might be on the cheaper side?

With a 4070, you really shouldn't have anything outside of the top tier.

The price of a sports car necessitates the cost of the insurance and maintenance. This is precisely the wrong place to ever cheap out. If it really is an issue where you can't get a quality PSU, utilize the 4070's return window, buy a less expensive GPU, and use the difference to buy an appropriate PSU for whatever GPU you buy (your current one should not be used in any new non-entry level GPU). Because cheap, group-regulated junk that's targeted towards basic office machines or very old PCs is not what you run a 4070 on, even temporarily.

Solution