[SOLVED] Unsure if I should buy these components

Nov 27, 2020
Hey, thanks for reading this in advance. My old PC finally died on me and I thought it's about time I upgrade to something more modern. However, I haven't paid too much attention to the market in the last 5 years. I'd like advice on whether I'm being an idiot somewhere or not (incompatible somewhere or one of the components is known to be terrible). I'll reuse my case, storage and I have a power supply already.

Sapphire Radeon RX 5500 XT Pulse 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card : £218.99
AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT Six Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail (100-100000281BOX): £239.99
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit £68.99
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard: £89.99

Thanks again.

Solution
The old CX range are poor quality, I have lost count of threads on here where one has failed and my dad had a CX600 kill his gpu and motherboard and he didn’t even really game on his pc. At 5 years old it is a ticking bomb.

Corsair have updated this range and the newer CX550 or CX650 are reasonable from the reviews I have seen. It’s the old CX with a green CX on the label which includes the CX600 that were poor.
Nov 27, 2020
Hey thanks, I was convinced to get the FX5600 instead for a little bit more so I bought that. I'm replacing my current PC as my GPU died (Pretty sure it was the GPU as I had blue lines running across the BIOS screen and before it didn't crash the screen just goes black and then disconects. I'll use the PSU as it seems fine, I'm replacing the CPU though as it was an FX 8310.

Hey thanks, I was convinced to get the FX5600 instead for a little bit more so I bought that. I'm replacing my current PC as my GPU died (Pretty sure it was the GPU as I had blue lines running across the BIOS screen and before it didn't crash the screen just goes black and then disconects. I'll use the PSU as it seems fine, I'm replacing the CPU though as it was an FX 8310.
How old is that psu and what exact model? If it’s as old as the FX8310 I would not risk a new build on it. If it’s a low quality unit or faulty it could have contributed to killing the gpu. PSU’s deteriorate with age and usage, low quality PSU’s deteriorate faster.

Nov 27, 2020
How old is that psu and what exact model? If it’s as old as the FX8310 I would not risk a new build on it. If it’s a low quality unit or faulty it could have contributed to killing the gpu. PSU’s deteriorate with age and usage, low quality PSU’s deteriorate faster.
The PSU is about 5 years old and is a corsair CX600 I was worried about it a bit, but didn't want to shell out another 100 and thought it would overwhelmingly likely to be fine as the crash had all the hallmarks of a dead GPU. Do you think it's likely it could instantly kill a new build? The machine stays on fine with all the lights, just artifacts then disconects. I do have an old g7 power 780W PSU that I only used once , would that be better?

Last edited:
The old CX range are poor quality, I have lost count of threads on here where one has failed and my dad had a CX600 kill his gpu and motherboard and he didn’t even really game on his pc. At 5 years old it is a ticking bomb.

Corsair have updated this range and the newer CX550 or CX650 are reasonable from the reviews I have seen. It’s the old CX with a green CX on the label which includes the CX600 that were poor.

Solution
Nov 27, 2020

Thanks very much, you probably saved me loads there, I won't use that PSU. Would you think that the unused but still 5 year old g7 power 780W PSU would be okay? Or at least okay for a year and then replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks very much, you probably saved me loads there, I won't use that PSU. Would you think that the unused but still 5 year old g7 power 780W PSU would be okay? Or at least okay for a year and then replace it.

No. I wouldn't use that for a minute. G7 780W is another ancient, group-regulated PSU.

If the budget is tight, I'd far rather go down to a Ryzen 3600 from the XT, which saves about 40 pounds and use that towards a proper PSU than cheap out at the PSU. If you're making cuts to a build to save money and it's the PSU that gets downcosted first, you've got your priorities backwards. It would be like not having quite enough money to buy a sports car and deciding to skip having car insurance so you can still get the premium rims.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellopo9
Nov 27, 2020
No. I wouldn't use that for a minute. G7 780W is another ancient, group-regulated PSU.

If the budget is tight, I'd far rather go down to a Ryzen 3600 from the XT, which saves about 40 pounds and use that towards a proper PSU than cheap out at the PSU. If you're making cuts to a build to save money and it's the PSU that gets downcosted first, you've got your priorities backwards. It would be like not having quite enough money to buy a sports car and deciding to skip having car insurance so you can still get the premium rims.
Thanks, what makes the PSU so bad? I've already purchased the parts I mentioned as the cheaper alternatives were sold out. I would have bought an R3 if I could but there was no indication they would be stocked at a reasonable price soon. Is the danger of using a group regulated PSU massive, could I use the unused G7 for a year or is it likely to kill all the parts in 6 months. The reason I'm spending the money I am is more to do with a shortage of supply rather than wanting a better PC. I could spend 40-60 on a PSU if I need to but I'd rather do that at a later date.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks, what makes the PSU so bad?

It's group-regulated, which is a huge no-no in 2020 (awful crossloads and the output wattage is a fiction as a result) and like most HECs, uses cheap capacitors. It's cheaply built with mediocre parts in nearly the identical way to the CX 600 listed above.

If you had purchased a high-quality PSU five years ago, you likely wouldn't have to buy another one now. And there's at least a chance your PC wouldn't be dead.

Nov 27, 2020
It's group-regulated, which is a huge no-no in 2020 (awful crossloads and the output wattage is a fiction as a result) and like most HECs, uses cheap capacitors. It's cheaply built with mediocre parts in nearly the identical way to the CX 600 listed above.

If you had purchased a high-quality PSU five years ago, you likely wouldn't have to buy another one now. And there's at least a chance your PC wouldn't be dead.
Thanks, I'm surprised they're that bad. Would 500W be sufficient for the build I listed with the FX5600 and the Ryzen R5 3600XT.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks, I'm surprised they're that bad. Would 500W be sufficient for the build I listed with the FX5600 and the Ryzen R5 3600XT.

There aren't a lot of quality 500W PSUs out there; the better ones tend to be x50W. If it was a quality 500W, you'd be fine. You just don't have a quality 500W right now.

I'm assuming, of course, that you're referring to an RX 5600? There's no such thing as an FX 5600 unless you're talking about a 20-year-old Quadro card that doesn't even work on a modern motherboard (it's AGP). These letters and numbers are important to get as this is a precise hobby; I can think just off the top of my head a case with someone who wanted a motherboard for their i7-7700K but ended up buying an incompatible motherboard because they told us they had an i7-8700K.

Nov 27, 2020
There aren't a lot of quality 500W PSUs out there; the better ones tend to be x50W. If it was a quality 500W, you'd be fine. You just don't have a quality 500W right now.

I'm assuming, of course, that you're referring to an RX 5600? There's no such thing as an FX 5600 unless you're talking about a 20-year-old Quadro card that doesn't even work on a modern motherboard (it's AGP). These letters and numbers are important to get as this is a precise hobby; I can think just off the top of my head a case with someone who wanted a motherboard for their i7-7700K but ended up buying an incompatible motherboard because they told us they had an i7-8700K.
Yeah sorry, it was a mistype. I've ran the build past multiple people who said it was fine. I'm just trying to make sure I don't throw away my spare PSU that I'd like to get at least 6 months out of. Would you be able to recommend an ATX PSU that isn't too expensive?

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah sorry, it was a mistype. I've ran the build past multiple people who said it was fine. I'm just trying to make sure I don't throw away my spare PSU that I'd like to get at least 6 months out of. Would you be able to recommend an ATX PSU that isn't too expensive?

We keep a curated power supply list in that forum that is more detailed than any answer I'll give. Tier A or B with this build.