[SOLVED] Unsure of answer to persisting problem

Jun 2, 2020
Hi all. I have had this issue for a few weeks now where both games that I play aren't running as smooth as id like. First of I play Call of Duty Warzone and the issue here is that when im playing at 110-120 fps the game runs really nice and smooth but when it drops to 80-90 its like playing at 50fps. my frametimes are around 8-9ms. My CPU is maxed out at 100% and so its my GPU.

the next game I play a lot is Iracing. this game runs really nice at 150 fps capped since my monitor is 144hz. I seem to be getting some microstuttering while turning for corners and change of scenes on the screen. It is really annoying and i Cant seem to find and answer for this. The game only uses 60%CPU and 70%GPU and my frametimes are around 7-8ms

I have recently upgraded my GPU from a 1060 to a 5700XT and also my RAM from 8gb to 16gb. I also got a new monitor which is 21:9 3440x1440 at 144hz. Could someone please tell me whats going on here as im stuck and just want my games running smoothly

specs:
I5 8500 3.9GHZ
RX 5700XT Sapphire Nitro
16gb HyperX RAM
Aorus b360m gaming 3
500gb ssd
Windows 10

Solution
Do you think the 9700k will work with my mbo?
If you update the bios using your current cpu, yes.

What about Ryzen 5 3600 with a compatable motherboard?
You sure you want to do that?
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($167.00 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $346.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-03 02:42 EDT-0400

^That's just to give you an idea what to expect.
The reason for the memory there...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
First of I play Call of Duty Warzone and the issue here is that when im playing at 110-120 fps the game runs really nice and smooth but when it drops to 80-90 its like playing at 50fps. my frametimes are around 8-9ms. My CPU is maxed out at 100%
Yeah, this one's easy. That's caused by this:
I5 8500 3.9GHZ(6 cores/6 threads, thus not hyperthreaded)
^Not enough available cpu resources. Intel's non hyperthreaded cpus are known to cause stutter when they're fully loaded, plus Warzone I've heard, can use up to 12 threads and over 12GBs of ram.
This is further compounded if ram is in single channel.

Now, for the other one:
the next game I play a lot is Iracing. this game runs really nice at 150 fps capped since my monitor is 144hz. I seem to be getting some microstuttering while turning for corners and change of scenes on the screen. It is really annoying and i Cant seem to find and answer for this. The game only uses 60%CPU and 70%GPU and my frametimes are around 7-8ms
Same deal as the previous one, I believe. Not enough cpu resources. Also:
"The game only uses 60%CPU..."
This is inaccurate, because of the multiple cores/threads, you have to monitor each one. All it takes is one - usually the Primary Core/Thread - to become cpu limited.
If the cpu only had a single core, then that statement would be accurate. I didn't mention this earlier, since Warzone was using everything to begin with.

You're not as bad off on Iracing as you are in Warzone. All you should need to do for this title is set a lower fps cap. It should help reduce the burden on the primary thread.

Reactions: matthewpayne.racing
Jun 2, 2020
Yeah, this one's easy. That's caused by this:
I5 8500 3.9GHZ(6 cores/6 threads, thus not hyperthreaded)
^Not enough available cpu resources. Intel's non hyperthreaded cpus are known to cause stutter when they're fully loaded, plus Warzone I've heard, can use up to 12 threads and over 12GBs of ram.
This is further compounded if ram is in single channel.

Now, for the other one:

Same deal as the previous one, I believe. Not enough cpu resources. Also:
"The game only uses 60%CPU..."
This is inaccurate, because of the multiple cores/threads, you have to monitor each one. All it takes is one - usually the Primary Core/Thread - to become cpu limited.
If the cpu only had a single core, then that statement would be accurate. I didn't mention this earlier, since Warzone was using everything to begin with.

You're not as bad off on Iracing as you are in Warzone. All you should need to do for this title is set a lower fps cap. It should help reduce the burden on the primary thread.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think getting a better processor would fix it. If so what do you recommend

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the advice. Do you think getting a better processor would fix it. If so what do you recommend
There's only 2 viable candidates, but~...
9700/9700K: You're gonna need an aftermarket cooler - no, a Hyper 212 won't be enough - but you'd have to cap fps in Warzone nonetheless, because 8 cores/8 threads.

9900/9900K: Not even an option with the current motherboard. The VRMs wouldn't be able to handle it. A decent 9900/K capable mobo is gonna run you ~200USD, and that's still not taking cooling into account, which is gonna run around another 100 or more.

Jun 2, 2020
There's only 2 viable candidates, but~...
9700/9700K: You're gonna need an aftermarket cooler - no, a Hyper 212 won't be enough - but you'd have to cap fps in Warzone nonetheless, because 8 cores/8 threads.

9900/9900K: Not even an option with the current motherboard. The VRMs wouldn't be able to handle it. A decent 9900/K capable mobo is gonna run you ~200USD, and that's still not taking cooling into account, which is gonna run around another 100 or more.

Thanks for your suggestions btw

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)

The reason for the memory there is if you don't have at least a 3000mhz kit already. Ryzen is more sensitive to memory speeds and latency, and runs better with a faster kit.
The Ryzen stock cooler is good if the chassis has good airflow. If not, you're going to have to replace that too.
You will have to reinstall the OS after swapping mobos. Some folks aren't too keen on doing that for some reason or other, but I'm letting you know in advance.

Solution
Jun 2, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

The reason for the memory there is if you don't have at least a 3000mhz kit already. Ryzen is more sensitive to memory speeds and latency, and runs better with a faster kit.
The Ryzen stock cooler is good if the chassis has good airflow. If not, you're going to have to replace that too.
You will have to reinstall the OS after swapping mobos. Some folks aren't too keen on doing that for some reason or other, but I'm letting you know in advance.
-Okay thanks mate. Do you reccomend to flash my current bios and go with the i7 9700k?

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Same deal as the previous one, I believe. Not enough cpu resources
I assume you aren’t particularly familiar with iRacing..
I seem to be getting some microstuttering while turning for corners and change of scenes on the screen. It is really annoying and i Cant seem to find and answer for this.
What settings are you using? All tracks or just one? Things like high detail mirrors and crowds choke out my 1080ti

Jun 2, 2020
I assume you aren’t particularly familiar with iRacing..

What settings are you using? All tracks or just one? Things like high detail mirrors and crowds choke out my 1080ti
i dont have crowds on or grandstands or high detail in mirrors. pretty masic mid-high settings really. my pc can run it at 150+ frams easy its just a bit choppy.

Jun 2, 2020
No, I'm not.
The OP's experience with stuttering tells me the issue lies with their cpu.
It's not maxing out like all 6 threads are with Warzone, so I suspect the primary thread is overburdened, and a lower fps cap needs to be set.
I have tried setting fps caps from 150 to 80 and apart from experiencing what 80fps feels like doesnt really make a difference. I have looked at riva tuner and it measures all the first 4 cores are around 15 to 30% then the last 2 especially the last one is always at 75-85% and the 5th one at around 60% not sure if this is any information thats useful?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have looked at riva tuner and it measures all the first 4 cores are around 15 to 30% then the last 2 especially the last one is always at 75-85% and the 5th one at around 60% not sure if this is any information thats useful?
This is what makes the earlier statement of 60% cpu usage inaccurate.
Now that it's been cleared up:
-the one sitting around 80% must be the primary thread. It's not maxing out though, so the problem with Iracing lies elsewhere.
-Unfortunately, it doesn't change the situation with Warzone.

@beers looks to have a better idea of what's happening in Iracing than I do.
I could only suspect in game settings, drivers, or some options in the 5700XT's control software aren't playing nice with that game.