Unsure of the next steps to take

Nov 20, 2018
Hello I am building my first gaming desktop and recently got: https://store.coolermaster.com/us/the-ability-cooldown-bundle

I need help choosing a motherboard and processor, but I'm not sure what to do. I want a desktop that will be able to play games well into 2019 and be able to upgrade easily in the future. Staying within 1000 price range although I don't mind suggestions to flex a little more expensive parts (I am willing to save up more if needed).

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/qGqbt6/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvgb I would like to use this ram too, since it looks like a good deal. Thanks for the help since I am not sure what kind of processor or motherboard I would need/ is compatible with my cooler

Solution
Well, the good news is that your cooler supports just about any motherboard you want to attach it to. That opens up a lot of options.

You can choose from anything AMD or Intel have. My recommendation would be to go with the AMD option, a Ryzen 2600X and a B450 motherboard that has the features you need or want. It will give you solid performance and decently long life. Additionally, there should be at least one more generation of AMD CPUs that the platform will support, as in an update to the motherboard's BIOS and just drop the new CPU in.

Going the Intel route will give you slightly better gaming performance. You can choose between the 8th and 9th generation Intel CPUs right now, but prices are higher and the next generation of...
Well, the good news is that your cooler supports just about any motherboard you want to attach it to. That opens up a lot of options.

You can choose from anything AMD or Intel have. My recommendation would be to go with the AMD option, a Ryzen 2600X and a B450 motherboard that has the features you need or want. It will give you solid performance and decently long life. Additionally, there should be at least one more generation of AMD CPUs that the platform will support, as in an update to the motherboard's BIOS and just drop the new CPU in.

Going the Intel route will give you slightly better gaming performance. You can choose between the 8th and 9th generation Intel CPUs right now, but prices are higher and the next generation of Intel CPUs will almost certainly be going to a new platform making upgrades more expensive.

All in all, I think AMD is the way to go right now. If you pair that 2600X with a good video card like a GTX 1070 or 1080, you'll be playing games for years before you need an upgrade.

Solution
Nov 20, 2018

Thank you for your help!