Question Unsure what RAM will be compatible with my Dell

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I'm planning on upgrading the RAM in my Dell Inspiron 580, but while doing some research ran into an inconsistency regarding compatibility. I currently have 4 GB (4x 1 GB) and wanted to upgrade to 8 GB, most likely in 2x 4 GB. On some posts on the Dell forum, someone said that only a max of up to 2 GB per dimm was supported, but on the spec list for this PC it says it can do up to 4 GB per dimm. Also on the forum, it was stated that only low density memory would work, so does that mean RAM such as this from Corsair would not work as it is described as being high density?
If anyone has any information regarding this issue or recommendations for compatible RAM that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I’ve found this RAM that has a SPD speed of 1333, which is what I need, but a potential overclocked(?) speed of 1600. Is this likely to work for me because I can just leave it on 1333?

Thanks.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Yes, the older Dell's are very picky about memory, I was surprised to not see it in Crucial. They May have made some at one time (like mine) but they don't show discontinued modules like Kingston does. It is best to buy guaranteed compatible modules that way there a fewer headaches. You might search on the Dell forums for memory for the 580 and see what they say.