[SOLVED] Unsure what to make of this no-post RAM issue. Bad slot?

Osteoporozis

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
My build has worked for four years but recently began having signs of a memory issue. Assumed faulty RAM stick, no flash drive for memtest86, ordered new ram. Here we go...

Old ram was A2/B2. Placed new ram into A2/B2, no post. Removed stick from B2: Post! DOA ram stick identified, time to RMA.
Replaced old ram into A2/B2. No post. Removed old stick from B2. Post! Faulty ram slot identified? Old sticks were fine all along? Apparently not!
So here's what I've found after some troubleshooting:

Old RAM (either stick in either slot):
A2/B2: no post
A2: post
A1/B1: no post
A1: post

New RAM (once again sticks are interchangable):
A2/B2: no post
A2: post
A1/B1: post
A1: post

So it does appear that B2 is faulty. But it appears that both old sticks are working fine, just not together. What gives? Any ideas?

Specs by request:
Mobo: ROG Strix Z-370e
CPU: I7-8700k
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070
Old RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3000MHz
New RAM: 2x Aegis G.Skill 16gb DDR4 3200MHz

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

It would really help if you could list your PC specs, including ram make/model.

There's a lot of A2/B2/A1's in there that are relevant, but without more info, are almost irrelevant! :)

When you say, you've no flash drive, what exactly do you mean? That your PC doesn't have a USB port, or that you simply don't have a flash drive? Getting one to test with memtest is a much cheaper way to diagnose the issue, rather than rushing to get new ram. You might also list the make/model of the new ram too, so we can confirm compatibility with your system.
Hey there,

There's a lot of A2/B2/A1's in there that are relevant, but without more info, are almost irrelevant! :)

When you say, you've no flash drive, what exactly do you mean? That your PC doesn't have a USB port, or that you simply don't have a flash drive? Getting one to test with memtest is a much cheaper way to diagnose the issue, rather than rushing to get new ram. You might also list the make/model of the new ram too, so we can confirm compatibility with your system.

Reactions: Osteoporozis
Solution

Osteoporozis

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
Hey there,

Of course! I've edited the OP. I was figuring for a "yep it's broke" kind of reply regardless of hardware, lol.

You're completely right, of course, buying a flash drive to run memtest is a lot cheaper than buying new memory, but I've been getting BSODs indicating RAM failure even after a clean reinstall of Win10. Currently everything is running fine with the new sticks in A1/B1, but I'm still concerned about the socket, and that the old sticks may still be serviceable.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead