Sep 3, 2019
For the past month now or so my computer in all games and out of games has had massive spikes in both CPU, and GPU processing. It kills fps in games, it kills multi-tasking, and iv had just about enough of it. So in light of this I am asking the internet to help solve the issue. This issue started when I installed a new AIO the corsair H100i and despite re-installing the entire system three times now, getting rid of the AIO for my old cooler, checked thermal levels for throttling, replaced the CPU, replaced the GPU, replaced the thermal paste, updated bios, updated drivers, installed each program one at a time to pinpoint the cause, attempted a new storage device, nothing has worked. Unsure why a simple AIO install attempt caused this much grief. The poll below is all I can think of effecting the system or I have yet to swap out. Specs are below, any help is much appreciated.

MOBO: Asus Z370-A
CPU: i5-8400
GPU: 2070RTX Duke edition
Power Supply: EVGA 750 silver
M.2 EVO 970 storage, 500gb
M.2 WD Black Edition, 500gb
1TB WD Blue

PS: Would love to display a graph from ACO or another benchmark software, but no idea how to attach images on these forms. To give a visual the graph looks like a bed a spikes, both for the GPU and CPU and FPS in all games would drop to just around 0 during these spikes. Spikes occur every 1-2 seconds and cause studders regardless of settings on monitor or games.

Ralston18

Titan
Windows OS? What version/build?

RAM, overclocking?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance: first while not gaming and then (leaving the observation window open but to one side or the other) while gaming.

Do not be in a rush. Watch carefully. Remember you can click the column headers to sort the data in ascending or descending order.

Have you physically opened the case to ensure that all components, cables, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place?

Review the motherboard's Installation Guide/Manual - especially the fine print. Do the same for all other installed components.

Especially with respect to the cooler. Ensure that all installation requirements and clearances are being met and that you are installing the cooler correctly.

Try "downsizing": remove the second M.2 and the 1TB drive. Objective being to hopefully restore stable performance and then as you add back them back (one at a time) you may discover some defective component. Or imcompatibility.

Take your time, work methodically, and keep notes.

Sep 3, 2019
I'm not in front of my computer so I'll answer best I can. The OS is windows 10 home edition and was fully updated to the most recent version.

As for the task manager and watching resources I have found nothing out of the blue taking up resources. My CPU and GPU have acted normal in terms of performance and temps. In fact CPU and GPU processing power seems to be working fine other than these spikes which leads me to believe they are being disrupted by another source.

Cooler is a past cooler I have used since the start of my build so how to install it properly and so forth is something easy for me at this point.

I will look at the MOBO guide again just in case, but since I replaced all components properly as was before the installation of the AIO I cant see anything wrong with where the cords are plugged in or how to properly do it.

Downsizing has been done in terms of storage, and memory, with no change other than the system running worse. I run with 32gb worth of memory and when i downgraded to two sticks of 16gb each (3,200) it ran much slower. Attempted the other two sticks, same issue. My guess is the system without it's beefy 32gb ram is just not able to run as well for some reason or another which as we all know is strange since 16gb worth of ram is plenty for the OS alone.