[SOLVED] until when should i wait to buy my new rig?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
HI for the next 6month 9 months i dont need a good pc , a sff is enough so i feel no rush to buy it.

im looking forward to buy for 429 usdthe parts below

question 1 how much would i possibly save if i wait at black friday on this 429 usd parts?

question 2 since re 3600x is 209 and that zen 3 is coming soon is it better to wait and buy a zen 3 at around this price?

Question 3
for the same exact part , if i buy them in 9 months will the price have droped a lot or not really?

tx

Solution
Most retailers have already said that the sales they are running between now and Christmas are probably going to be pretty uniform, and that most of them don't actually plan to have any particularly special "black Friday" sales this year due to Covid-19 concerns.

The bigger factor is probably that AMD is releasing a new architecture sometime between the end of November and the beginning of the new year, and Intel is releasing a new architecture in January sometime. Plus there are additional Nvidia 30 series models (And hopefully, some supply and inventory, on already released models) coming over the next two months as well.

So by the end of January we will probably have seen everything there is to see as far as near future releases...
Most retailers have already said that the sales they are running between now and Christmas are probably going to be pretty uniform, and that most of them don't actually plan to have any particularly special "black Friday" sales this year due to Covid-19 concerns.

The bigger factor is probably that AMD is releasing a new architecture sometime between the end of November and the beginning of the new year, and Intel is releasing a new architecture in January sometime. Plus there are additional Nvidia 30 series models (And hopefully, some supply and inventory, on already released models) coming over the next two months as well.

So by the end of January we will probably have seen everything there is to see as far as near future releases, price drops and sales are concerned. Waiting because you think something dramatic is going to happen with pricing is ALWAYS something that turns out to be foolish, because every generation it never really turns out that way. Sure, there are a few sales here or there but mostly it is the normal fluctuations from supply and demand that drive changes in pricing and aside from what is expected to happen with the cost of NAND going down, and therefore continued decreases in the cost of SSDs and DRAM prices as well, so lower cost memory, I think if you NEED something now, get it now. If you don't need it now, then get it when you need it, and don't worry about this sale or that sale or whether you think the cost of the hardware will be less in six months.

More often than not, prices on last gen hardware tend to go UP after the newer hardware gets released because the inventory runs low, and no more is coming. Then it becomes scarce, and people buy it up so they can scalp it later to people who will pay extra for something that will work with what they have now so they don't have to upgrade the whole platform. Stockpilers cause pricing to rarely ever become significantly decreased towards the end of a product lifespan.

And the black Friday type sales are usually on LAST years products, so understanding that will help you avoid waiting for something new to go down in price because it likely won't.

Solution
Indications are that Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are going to be MORE expensive than current 3000 series models, even for similarly tiered units, because the performance is going to be moderately better and they will likely very much be in demand.

If you are ok with that, then great. I am, and will likely be upgrading to a Ryzen 5000 series if the reviews look actually look like the early information from AMD seems to indicate. If you are simply looking to save money, then I'd buy a Ryzen 3000 series before the end of January. After that, there's no telling what the market is going to do. Plus, motherboard prices should probably be fairly decent during the holidays as well. Once the new series is released, those boards will probably start becoming scarce again like they did earlier this year, and if there are further rounds of shut downs in China due to Covid, all of this goes right out the window.