[SOLVED] Unusable wifi and bluetooth on Asus Strix Z370-i Motherboard ?

Nigel Thornberry11

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a custom built gaming pc and have always used ethernet at home, but I've recently moved into a new place and don't have the freedom to run a cable throughout the entire house and need to switch to wifi.

Since day one of my new pc I noticed that the built in wifi on my Asus Strix Z370-i motherboard has absolutely useless wifi range, but I have just overlooked it until now.

For example, I can't even reach the modem/router that is located in the room next to me, with very very thin walls; when my old surface pro laptop, my iphone and my room mates mac can reach from my room with full bars..

This is also the case for bluetooth - I try to connect my Sony XM3 wireless headphones and it connects fine but the connection is so horrible it cuts in and out every 0.5sec. If I try to connect them to my room mates macbook or my iphone it works perfectly..

Can someone please explain why you pay extra $$ for these higher spec spec parts with all these "features" but they're completely useless ? Drivers are all up to date and have researched online but no similar experiences from others.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Solution
It sounds like it is either the antenna assembly (possibly cable also) itself, or the wifi module on the motherboard.

I looked at the motherboard specs but it doesn't seem to say what sort of interface the wifi module is. Some have nvme connectors they are M.2 key E or something like that and others have mini PCIe connectors.

Is motherboard still under warranty?
If your friends have wifi module on their motherboard with same connector, you could try plug theirs into yours and see if it works.
Also you could try a different antenna and antenna cable.

If it's not either of those then there is probably a faulty connection between the wifi module and the antenna connectors on the motherboard (worst case scenario .. don't hate me too...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A small suggestion. See your mobo manual p. 3-18 and 2-19. Under Onboard Devices Configuration, check the item Intel LAN Controller to ensure it is enabled.

Also, try this, The WiFi and Bluetooth antenna system is a separate module with an antenna blade and two cables that connect to ports on the mobo rear panel. DIS-connect each of those two cables, unplug, then plug back in. Repeat a few times, then ensure the screw collars ar snugged in. IF there was a poor connection at that point due to oxidation of the contacts, this MIGHT clean them.

Nigel Thornberry11

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
A small suggestion. See your mobo manual p. 3-18 and 2-19. Under Onboard Devices Configuration, check the item Intel LAN Controller to ensure it is enabled.

Also, try this, The WiFi and Bluetooth antenna system is a separate module with an antenna blade and two cables that connect to ports on the mobo rear panel. DIS-connect each of those two cables, unplug, then plug back in. Repeat a few times, then ensure the screw collars ar snugged in. IF there was a poor connection at that point due to oxidation of the contacts, this MIGHT clean them.
Okay cool, will give this a shot. Thanks for the advice!

Nigel Thornberry11

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016

Hey so I managed to sort the wifi by just using a spare router as a bridge, it will do for now at least..

Can anyone explain the poor bluetooth connection with my headphones? As mentioned, they work perfectly with other devices including laptops and iphones.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
It sounds like it is either the antenna assembly (possibly cable also) itself, or the wifi module on the motherboard.

I looked at the motherboard specs but it doesn't seem to say what sort of interface the wifi module is. Some have nvme connectors they are M.2 key E or something like that and others have mini PCIe connectors.

Is motherboard still under warranty?
If your friends have wifi module on their motherboard with same connector, you could try plug theirs into yours and see if it works.
Also you could try a different antenna and antenna cable.

If it's not either of those then there is probably a faulty connection between the wifi module and the antenna connectors on the motherboard (worst case scenario .. don't hate me too much for raising the possibility)

Sorry for the long post, but there are wifi dongles that plug into a USB socket that you could try also. They are pretty cheap.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

Last edited:
Solution

Nigel Thornberry11

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Thanks for all your help guys, managed to get a new antenna assemply with new cable and it's worked like a charm!
Bluetooh now seemless with no interruptions and wifi range greatly improved (still not across the house but it reaches next room which is all I needed!)
Thanks again :)