unused cable coming from motherboard (to nothing)

GUYK101

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Currently using a compaq 8200 elite, and I was looking around the motherboard when I noticed I have a cable not connected to anything coming from the motherboard. I don't know what type it is and what are its uses. Help?

cAtaZuN.jpg

GUYK101

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying. On a different note, how bad would you say (if possible at all) it is to find some sort of cable to connect a 6pin power connector from the motherboard and not the PSU in order to supply an additional 10 watts tops?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Power comes from the power supply; unless I'm misunderstanding what appears to be a rather unusual question, it's like asking if you could connect your car so that the engine could get gasoline from the tires instead of the fuel tank.

GUYK101

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

ugh i guess so.. I'm just a little frustrated that my PSU which meets the min 300 watts required for a gtx 1050ti doesn't have a 6 pin power connector (yea I didn't realize the card needed a 6 pin until I hooked it all up) - or any cable to even adapt to one at that.. I was wondering if maybe I could try to mod it..
You're right, I'm just being silly.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Generally speaking, a PSU that doens't have a six-pin connector is one you wouldn't want to run a GPU that requires a six-pin connector on. Can you return the 1050ti and get one that doesn't require one?

GUYK101

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

I'm pretty sure I could, but I'm certain it would take over a month and cost me shipping money which would not really make it worth it. I also know that my PSU is generally high grade and has 20 watts over the recommended wattage required for the card so I'm just a little annoyed. I've been talking about this with my dad who has a degree in electrical engineering and we're unsure on trying to mod the PSU or not.

GUYK101

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

It sounds okay, but will it be fine? The spare SATA comes from a 4 pin (connected to the motherboard ) which then splits into 2 SATA power cables. One SATA is without use and the other is currently supplying power to the CD/DVD Drive. I've also thought about the possibility of just disconnecting the CD/DVD Drive completely, which is no problem to me really.

I've always been an advocate of getting what you need. In this case you need a PSU with a PCI-E power connector. Back when PCI-E power was new, it was OK to use a molex to PCI-E power adapter. PSUs with PCI-E adapter have been around forever now. I look at any PSU without one as not having the current (amperage) capacity on the 12V rail to properly supply a graphics card. Unless your power supply is very old, in which case do you really want to jeopardize you new graphics card. There is a chance that if you "workaround" the need for a PCI-E power adapter, not only could you damage your PSU, but your new graphics card as well.

slingsrat

Distinguished
May 31, 2016

As techgeek said it would certainly be better to invest in a new PSU but you could certainly give the adapter a go, it's only a few dollars. You couldn't damage your system by underpowering it.

GUYK101

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
I realized a week later, when I've solved my issue, that I didn't end the discussion here. I ended up buying the SATA power adapter to 6 pin. Worked like a charm. I've run tests on it, ran it overnight and nothing's an issue. Been using it like this for over a week. I guess this is to help folks who might end up like I did. Cheers.

slingsrat

Distinguished
May 31, 2016

Glad we could help.