Unused Memory problem

nicholasa

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
So my RAM has always seemed to never go above 7.2GB out of my 16 installed, but it never really bothered me. Recently I've come to have more programs open than normal, and now I can't even smoothly play a beta with my browser open. As you can see from the performance chart, its not like it peaks at 7.2 with valleys depending on the load, its constantly using 7.2 which makes it seem like thats maxing out. Why isn't it using more ram? It says I have 16 installed and doesn't say anything about usable. Couldnt find any help in other forums either.

Specs:
Windows 8
Intel i7
2 sticks of some Corsair 8GB I forget exact name
GTX 670
Z77 motherboard

http://i.imgur.com/cUGL5ST.jpg

Solution
No there isn't any kind of limitation.

If you would like you can test this, download IntelBurnTest, set the amount of RAM used to 8GB or so, and you will see your system using more than 8GB, showing nothing in software is preventing it. I have 16GB also and never use more than 6GB really no matter what I do, it seems more that our systems have no need to have so much RAM usually.

You could try turning off the virtual memory, you could find guides online if you need. Could be it is trying extra hard to limit the RAM to under 8GB using virtual memory, but you can disable that feature so it keeps everything in RAM.
No there isn't any kind of limitation.

If you would like you can test this, download IntelBurnTest, set the amount of RAM used to 8GB or so, and you will see your system using more than 8GB, showing nothing in software is preventing it. I have 16GB also and never use more than 6GB really no matter what I do, it seems more that our systems have no need to have so much RAM usually.

You could try turning off the virtual memory, you could find guides online if you need. Could be it is trying extra hard to limit the RAM to under 8GB using virtual memory, but you can disable that feature so it keeps everything in RAM.

Solution

I was going to recommend downloading IBT but you beat me to it. +1