[SOLVED] Unusual CPU temperatures out of nowhere ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2021
First of all here are my specs:
  • CA CASE MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R, 4x120mm ARGB ventilator, tempered glass, 1x USB type C, black
  • COL MSI MAG Core Liquid 240R, CPU, 2x 120mm vent.
  • CPU AMD RYZEN 5 5600X (ZEN3, 3.7GHz, 6C/12T,35MB,65W,AM4) box Wraith Stealth
  • DIMM Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 16GB (Kit 2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DIMM 1.35V
  • GK MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC6, 8GB DDR6, 2xHDMI,3xDP,PCIE4.0
  • HD KINGSTON SSD disk 960GB A400
  • HD WD BLACK SSD SN750 WDS500G3X0C 500GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3 2280 (3470/2600MBs)
  • KB KABEL NAPÁJECÍ 220V/230V 1.8m
  • MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK, s.AM4, AMD B550 Ryzen, 4xDDR4, DisplayPort, HDMI, USB typ C, ATX
  • SWO MS Windows 10 Home Plus - OA3 (D-OEM)
  • ZD MSI MPG A650GF zdroj 80Plus Gold 650W, 140mm fan, aPFC, modular
PC is aprox. 2 months old but last 3 days i have strange problem with CPU temperature
Until 3 days ago, my max. temp on CPU while playing and browsing at the same time was 50-65 degrees and now it reaches 70-80 while playing any modern game + fans make loud noise trying to cool it down which never occured to me....i checked my CPU speed and it was at 4.2GHz even on idle (but hey it's probably Ryzen core boosting so dunno if it's intended like this or not)...I have even balanced mode in my control panel....70-80 was too much for me so i tried to disable core performance boost which keeps CPU on 3.6Ghz and temperature was like -20 degrees, i tried to play some games and didn't even reach 60 degrees, fans very silent, that was yesterday.

Today i tried again some games and here we are again but not 70-80 but 60-70 with fans very loud (with core performance boost still disabled), restarted PC and checked if its still disabled and it was but after restart temps while playing were under 60 all the time again with fans calm as ever.

So i tried Prime95 cpu stress test and it went to 91 degrees after like 2-3mins and i just stopped it so it would go probably higher which is a lot
And now when I start up my PC it makes strange sound after aprox. 5seconds which lasts like 2 seconds and it sounds like I don't even know how to describe it (electricity or maybe a little like this but it's only on startup of my PC and 2 seconds duration):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xzGGyGivnQ&t=13s&ab_channel=QT76

I checked temps on everything else in my case and temps on other HW is just great, PC is working fine, no performance drop in games, no stuttering, it just works fine.

So question is, any idea what may cause this strange issue? I don't think it's thermal paste as temps are sometimes ok and sometimes not even i'm doing the same thing on PC or playing the same game, could it be something with AIO cooling, like there are 2 pumps, so could 1 pump be somehow faulty? is it possible that for some reason it's cooling sometimes properly and sometimes not? I'll really appreciate any ideas on my issue.

Solution
  • CA CASE MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R, 4x120mm ARGB ventilator, tempered glass, 1x USB type C, black
  • HD WD BLACK SSD SN750 WDS500G3X0C 500GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3 2280 (3470/2600MBs)
  • MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK, s.AM4, AMD B550 Ryzen, 4xDDR4, DisplayPort, HDMI, USB typ C, ATX
  • ZD MSI MPG A650GF zdroj...
  • ZD MSI MPG A650GF zdroj 80Plus Gold 650W, 140mm fan, aPFC, modular
PC is aprox. 2 months old but last 3 days i have strange problem with CPU temperature
Until 3 days ago, my max. temp on CPU while playing and browsing at the same time was 50-65 degrees and now it reaches 70-80 while playing any modern game + fans make loud noise trying to cool it down which never occured to me....i checked my CPU speed and it was at 4.2GHz even on idle (but hey it's probably Ryzen core boosting so dunno if it's intended like this or not)...I have even balanced mode in my control panel....70-80 was too much for me so i tried to disable core performance boost which keeps CPU on 3.6Ghz and temperature was like -20 degrees, i tried to play some games and didn't even reach 60 degrees, fans very silent, that was yesterday.

Today i tried again some games and here we are again but not 70-80 but 60-70 with fans very loud (with core performance boost still disabled), restarted PC and checked if its still disabled and it was but after restart temps while playing were under 60 all the time again with fans calm as ever.

So i tried Prime95 cpu stress test and it went to 91 degrees after like 2-3mins and i just stopped it so it would go probably higher which is a lot
And now when I start up my PC it makes strange sound after aprox. 5seconds which lasts like 2 seconds and it sounds like I don't even know how to describe it (electricity or maybe a little like this but it's only on startup of my PC and 2 seconds duration):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xzGGyGivnQ&t=13s&ab_channel=QT76

I checked temps on everything else in my case and temps on other HW is just great, PC is working fine, no performance drop in games, no stuttering, it just works fine.

So question is, any idea what may cause this strange issue? I don't think it's thermal paste as temps are sometimes ok and sometimes not even i'm doing the same thing on PC or playing the same game, could it be something with AIO cooling, like there are 2 pumps, so could 1 pump be somehow faulty? is it possible that for some reason it's cooling sometimes properly and sometimes not? I'll really appreciate any ideas on my issue.
Can you put the radiator in the case front instead of on top? When you do it try to locate the pump at the low side if you can.

The sound in the video is air getting into the pump. The pump is in the radiator in that AIO so when it's at the high spot all the air in the system collects in the pump. It will get worse over time as liquid permeates out and is replaced with air. That happens to all liquid coolers but usually takes several years to be noticeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Aug 30, 2021
Radiators are located on top...btw today i turned on PC and had 60 degrees while only watching stream, my web browser is chrome and after i saw 60 degrees i closed my google chrome, waited a little, temp was 37-39 after a while, after this i turned my chrome on again with the same stream and temp is only 40-45, i don't understand this

Radiators are located on top...btw today i turned on PC and had 60 degrees while only watching stream, my web browser is chrome and after i saw 60 degrees i closed my google chrome, waited a little, temp was 37-39 after a while, after this i turned my chrome on again with the same stream and temp is only 40-45, i don't understand this
The 60 degree temperature is probably localized temp spikes when the CPU boosts. It's normal and impossible to prevent unless using sub-ambient cooling.

What are you using to monitor temperatures? HWINfo64 is the best for Ryzen, look for a CPU Die(Average) sensor reading and look at it's average temps over time. That's the better way to know how your actual CPU temp is behaving. You can also compare that to the Tdie(ctrl) to see how it differs from temp spiking as it boosts.

EDIT: even 60C is not bad for Ryzen, especially 5000 series CPU's. It's quite common to see temp spikes upwards of 90C (maybe even a bit more for 5600X as its Tj,max is 95C) and average temps that high if running stress tests.

Last edited:
View: https://imgur.com/5gMidnJ
here is picture of my HWInfo and Ryzen master, i mean i know 60 is safe, but it's not normal temp for only let's say browsing if i know my usual temps while browsing are between 40-50
That's HWMonitor, not HWInfo. Only HWInfo integrates all the sensor readings and does the calculations necessary to report a CPU Die average. So HWMonitor is only able to reporting a 'spiking' temperature reading.

Boosting and the temp spikes are very frequent with Ryzen 5000, way faster than the polling period of utilities. With 6/8/12 or 16 cores available to boost there's always some spikes occuring within a polling period so it appears to be hotter than it actually is. That's why the average reading is good to check.

Aug 30, 2021
I'll try HWInfo sometimes today or tomorrow, then...btw it shouldn't be boosting as i disabled core performance boost...with that boost enabled temps go even to 80 while playing...I'm a lot into Final Fantasy XIV and temps when this strange thing is not happening are 58-62 and that's with multiple streams on background, discord, steam etc. up, i can even stream myself and won't reach 70 ...but when s*** happens game goes to 70 with boosting disabled and 80 with enabled....so basicly what happened to me today with first time 60 while watching stream and after letting my cpu go back to 39 and start watchin stream again, everything is as it should be

I'll try HWInfo sometimes today or tomorrow, then...btw it shouldn't be boosting as i disabled core performance boost...with that boost enabled temps go even to 80 while playing...I'm a lot into Final Fantasy XIV and temps when this strange thing is not happening are 58-62 and that's with multiple streams on background, discord, steam etc. up, i can even stream myself and won't reach 70 ...but when s*** happens game goes to 70 with boosting disabled and 80 with enabled....so basicly what happened to me today with first time 60 while watching stream and after letting my cpu go back to 39 and start watchin stream again, everything is as it should be
Really, temps even in the 80's are perfectly OK with Ryzen. It's designed for that and completely expected. It's especially safe for it when gaming since the processing isn't all that intense. It's only temp spikes as it boosts; the average die temp over a period of time can easily be in the 60's or 70's. Maybe even 50's with decent AIO cooling that's mounted in the case front to use cool external air.

Aug 30, 2021
I think i'm maybe misunderstood, i know my english is not that great or maybe i explained it wrong too but thing is:

My PC is soon 3 months old and i always monitor my cpu and gpu temps since i bought it, no matter what game i played, my temps didn't go over 70 degrees and PC was very silent all the time, fans chilling and in that time my CPU was ofc with performance boost enabled so yeah even with my cores boosting, temps were pretty low as i want them to be

And one day, temps starts to go even 20 degrees higher than i was used to and i can hear my fans going crazy at the same time, that's just not perfectly ok in my opinion, something is just going on, but when i see my temps going crazy, all i need to do is restart my PC or close everything i can and let my PC "idle" for a while and than i can go back to normal and rest of the day temps are as they should....but once a day at random hour, sometimes on PC startup, sometimes when PC is already running for hours temps go crazy and they actually stay crazy, it's not like it goes down after a while i already tested it

it's just strange cpu behavior imo and i have to monitor it all the time and worry, cause i don't think it's good to be on 80 degrees cpu for hours every day, that's why i have to mintor it and when it happens close everything or restart

I think i'm maybe misunderstood, i know my english is not that great or maybe i explained it wrong too but thing is:

My PC is soon 3 months old and i always monitor my cpu and gpu temps since i bought it, no matter what game i played, my temps didn't go over 70 degrees and PC was very silent all the time, fans chilling and in that time my CPU was ofc with performance boost enabled so yeah even with my cores boosting, temps were pretty low as i want them to be

And one day, temps starts to go even 20 degrees higher than i was used to and i can hear my fans going crazy at the same time, that's just not perfectly ok in my opinion, something is just going on, but when i see my temps going crazy, all i need to do is restart my PC or close everything i can and let my PC "idle" for a while and than i can go back to normal and rest of the day temps are as they should....but once a day at random hour, sometimes on PC startup, sometimes when PC is already running for hours temps go crazy and they actually stay crazy, it's not like it goes down after a while i already tested it

it's just strange cpu behavior imo and i have to monitor it all the time and worry, cause i don't think it's good to be on 80 degrees cpu for hours every day, that's why i have to mintor it and when it happens close everything or restart
Unexpected changes can be surprising, but at least understanding how Ryzen works makes it less stressy. One thing to keep in mind is Windows is constantly changing with it's updates. And you might have changed something (like updating chipset drivers) without realizing it's effect on system behaviour. Even software you run, or websites you visit in a browser, can make a difference if it makes Windows change what it's background processes are doing.

Temps in the 80's are perfectly OK, especially if it's only spikes when it boosts. AMD's told us this (see what I linked above). It's what it's designed and 'built' to do so just accept it and enjoy the performance provided by their engineering and design.

Aug 30, 2021
hmm when i think about it, it's pretty possible it started after some windows update but again i have to say those temps are not spikes, it's kind of permanent, if i wouldn't monitor my temps i would be playing on 80 all the time, i'd cosider it a spike if it went to 80 for a little and back down but it's not going down until i restart my pc or close my game and browser for some time, it's really important difference

i still believe it's worrying to get 10-20 (depends on what i do on PC) more degrees than usual randomly happening out of nowhere but i understand it's so strange issue it's hard for others to find a fix for this from just my explanation

Jan 31, 2022
You ever had this fixed?

I have an intel i9 10900 and the MSI MAG Core Liquid 240R installed also on the top. Since a short period i hear the noice as well and notice 100 degrees for cpu cores. CPU socket stays low.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
That's another reason why I decided to stay away from liquid coolers. They're not as reliable as air coolers. Had AIO cooler in the past, then switched to air cooler and now I wish I would stick with air coolers from the very beginning. Sure, those AIO liquid coolers look fleshy and cool, but when it comes to reliability air coolers win easily. They're stable as rock and no need to worry about loud pump, licking...

Status
Not open for further replies.