[SOLVED] Unusual Crashes

Jul 11, 2021
Hello everybody!

I'm a long term lurker (having never made an account but I have read hundreds of posts over the years to fix various issues along my computer building times) in need of some help with an unusual series of crashes that I cannot seem to pinpoint to any specific thing.

This all began when I ordered a new PC (I was in a time crunch and wanted to get some parts quickly) from a reputable vendor that I have used over the last few years without issues. Of course when I booted up I did not post and I narrowed that down to a faulty video card and I am currently going through the RMA process. During this time I have swapped it over to one of my older graphics cards.

Issue: Seemingly at random my PC will completely cut off with no warning - not a bluescreen or a stutter into crash but it entirely turns of like flipping a light switch (case lights stay on so I know it isn't just loss of power or power fluctuations as I have had this issue between three separate locations now).

My original thoughts were that it was tied to Discord as every time I was in a call and someone joined or left it would turn off but it seems that this issue has spread further than that. Today while installing a Forge server for Minecraft it crashed once the process was complete and once again after I closed WinSCP. These are the only two times this has happened while Discord was not actively running (the Discord development team is currently investigating my issues and I have been in contact with several of them at this point).

Both of the recent crashes happened while Spotify was actively playing music, Discord's web client was open (though I have used this for 2 weeks with no crashes), and I was doing the work detailed above.

I also prompted a crash when using OCCT stress test... It only crashed when I attempted to turn off the stress test after running it for several minutes. There were no issues during the stress test itself.

Reliability Center simply says that "Windows was not properly shut down" when these crashes happen.

Specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-11900KF Processor (8X 3.50GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI
Memory: 32GB [16GB x2] DDR4-3200MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws V
Video Card: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (Gigabyte) / AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT - 16GB (VR-Ready) (Currently RMA).
Power Supply: 850 Watt - CORSAIR RM850 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
Cooling: 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Storage: 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD

I have reinstalled windows, reseated the processor/gpu/ram.

A video if it actively happening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XW3N6AbYhwsIvM91DtTue6q8fguLPyjH/view?usp=sharing
DxDiag: https://gist.github.com/qckcat/18996d95a1e47facab5cd4cef55f7530

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Solution
Normally I'd say update the bios, often that's a cause of failure with some of these cpus, but with the crashing, I'd go into bios first and let it sit for a good long while. Do that several times to see if it's a bios caused crash or if it's not until after windows is loaded.

Run through the bios settings, check to see if it's default optimized setup or if it's been manually adjusted or needs manual adjustments.

Check the wiring, verify all the connectors are fully seated, no burns or melting or pins pushed out etc.

I would update the motherboard chipset drivers from Asus support page, those got wiped out with the windows reinstall and often contain vendor specific fixes that windows generic drivers don't have.
Jul 11, 2021
i don't notice you mentioning temperatures anywhere.
keep an eye on temps for both CPU & GPU while in use for a day or two and see what they're reaching and what they're idling at.

I'll do my best to track it. I just downloaded HWMonitor and i'll make manual saves every so often over the next few days.

I sort of automatically ruled temperatures out since it'll crash within a minute of booting or during times when the computer isn't under any sort of load. Only during the most recent OCCT stress test did the CPU and GPU temps increase but that was due to the test itself.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Normally I'd say update the bios, often that's a cause of failure with some of these cpus, but with the crashing, I'd go into bios first and let it sit for a good long while. Do that several times to see if it's a bios caused crash or if it's not until after windows is loaded.

Run through the bios settings, check to see if it's default optimized setup or if it's been manually adjusted or needs manual adjustments.

Check the wiring, verify all the connectors are fully seated, no burns or melting or pins pushed out etc.

I would update the motherboard chipset drivers from Asus support page, those got wiped out with the windows reinstall and often contain vendor specific fixes that windows generic drivers don't have.

Solution