Question Unusual Frame Drops During Recording

Sep 26, 2022
Hey, first time posting.

I've personally never had any problems recording in the past. I reset my PC recently and got back into playing PS1 games again using an emulator, and wanted to record some content. I launched OBS and my game, and to my surprise, there was some very minor lag in the recording. I looked in the OBS preview, and there were some very occasional frame drops. No matter what settings I used, there were always frame drops. I know it's not my specs, I have an RTX 3090 and i9 10900kf.

I decided to switch recording software, and used shadow play. Shockingly, the same lag was there! I've honestly never seen anything like this. I checked my OBS stats dock, absolutely no frame drops. less than 0.3% CPU usage. Now you may be saying "It could be the game and emulator!" So I switched both the game and emulator, and yep, there was still the same noticeable lag.

Now for the frame drops, I took a few recordings of different games where it was pretty noticeable. To some it may not be a big deal, but to me it's pretty annoying, and I'm really interested to knowing what in the world is up. I've linked 2 clips of some gameplay, and if you watch closely, you'll see occasional frame drops, that last for around half a second or so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRWo2cdKFQY
(Noticeably after I start accelerating)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ43sghB5go
(Noticeable after Crash picks up the missile)

I've done so much research on frame drops and such, nobody has had an issue like this before. I have no idea what in the world is going on. I really need some help.

Sep 26, 2022
So I did some more testing around. I first took my emulator and put it side by side with a YouTube video, same game, same map/gameplay, and the frame lag only occurred on the actual emulator, the YouTube video on the side was perfectly fine.

EDIT: There's no "frame drops" on the actual emulator, it runs perfectly smooth. Only on the actual OBS preview/recording output there is.

Later on, I decided to test screen sharing on Discord. I have multiple monitors, so I put Discord on my 2nd monitor, started up a screenshare, and stay tabbed on Discord so the preview wouldn't go away. To my surprise, the frames were dropping just like how they were on OBS and shadowplay! Unbelievable. I'm starting to believe this is an issue with Windows, because I can't think of any other reason this would be happening.

Last edited: