Question Unusual high ping - Spectrum

Jun 13, 2022
Just moved into an older apartment with multiple tenants with new internet and for some reason, I'm getting unusual high ping when I try to game or do anything. All the game servers I ping for some reason all have extremely high ping for me.

For example, I ping this game server that is located in the US (where I'm from) and I'm getting 120ms ping.

When I speedtest my internet, I'm getting around 34ms ping.

I've tried multiple computers, using ethernet, using wifi, resetting the router and modem, connecting and reconnecting the coaxial cable, making sure everything was connected correctly, but I still haven't been able to fix it. The provider is Spectrum using a Spectrum router (SAX1V1S)

I honestly don't know what to do. I never had this issue in any place I've ever lived. I'm not that tech savvy and gaming is a huge hobby of mine. If I somehow can't fix the issue, I might have to move to another place.

gU8cToF.png

N7iJ3N8.png

emFV9Ab.png

1wsSbhw.png

run tracert 8.8.8.8

What is key here is where you see the large increase. Most people see maybe 10ms on the second hop and this represents the connection between your house and the ISP.

Now if you are doing something like running a vpn you will see a large value in hop 1 that represent the time to go the vpn data center.

In general there is nothing you can really do about the path your data takes. Your only option is to send and receive data over the wire you are provided by the ISP. You can not influence the path the data takes.

The only thing that might work is to use a VPN. This assumes you can get good latency to the ISP data center and then the VPN provider has a better path than your ISP from that data center to the actual game server. This is completely unpredictable is mostly trial and error.
Mostly the "gamer" vpn help when you are going international servers but for some people the help internal to a country. No way to know this other try try them.

Still a tracert will give you a lot of hints where the delay is even if you can't change it. If the delay is between your house and the ISP a vpn will not fix that