Unusual i7 6700k temperature

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
So i've been using the intel i7 6700k for a while now, but never really monitored temperatures until i decided to upgrade my case to make my system look more flashy. But since 3 days ago, after doing some cable management and giving monitoring a go, i've noticed in CAM (nzxt software) that sometimes while gaming the CPU temperature goes over 80 degrees celcius. I use a COOLERMASTER SEIDON 120v cooler on it. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

ps - i ran AIDAx64 and it ran between 80-90 degrees.
pss - room temperature is 21 degrees.

am i overthinking this, or is above 80 too high for my CPU?

Edit; I reapplied thermal paste and the results remain the same.
Other specs are
i7 6700K @4ghz (no overclocking)
16gb corsair ddr4 ram
gigabyte amd rx480
120gb Kingston hyperx SSD (just for windows)
2x 480gb kingston hyperx SSD's
750gb WD storage

Solution
oh ok I read the original post wrong, I thought your temps were normal before and are now high, instead of you just now realizing that they may hae been that way all along. I definitely recommend more than just 1 exhaust fan. atleast 1 intake fan pushing air as directly to the cpu location as possible. but I still don't know that it should be that temp with your current setup. don't know anything about aftermarket coolers to know if that is normal for the one you have.

you say you have that one exhaust fan in the front? if so, tht definitely is the worst possible place to put it. usually you want them close to the cpu in the back of the case... but ideally on the top of the case right above the cpu.

edit... looking at your specific...
If you get good idle temperatures but load temperatures are really high and reapplying thermal paste doesn't fix your issue, it is likely the radiator is too small for the i7 7700k. If you have really high idle temperatures, that's another story. Either there's something wrong with the pump, thermal paste is incorrectly appied or you have inadequate air flow in your case. What case do you have an what is your fan configuration for the case and how is your radiator mounted? I generally recommend going with a 240m radiator as a bare minimum for 4 - 7th gen i7 processors as anything smaller doesn't have enough surface area to keep temperatures under control via high cpu utilization.

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

I changed thermal paste after it started running hot (after cable management).

Every now and again it still goes above 80..

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

I tried checking if it's the pump. Although it's running normal. The previous setup had a fx6300 OC'd to 4.5ghz on this cooler. It is, however making a strange constant ticking noise. Could this be the problem?

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

No change in the case whatsoever, All i did was some cable management. It only has one front fan set to extract warm air. Do you advise I add more? i have 1 slot at the front and one at the top (however i dont know how to access it).

Ps - the case is a Cooler Master k550.

user11464

Notable
Feb 25, 2017
oh ok I read the original post wrong, I thought your temps were normal before and are now high, instead of you just now realizing that they may hae been that way all along. I definitely recommend more than just 1 exhaust fan. atleast 1 intake fan pushing air as directly to the cpu location as possible. but I still don't know that it should be that temp with your current setup. don't know anything about aftermarket coolers to know if that is normal for the one you have.

you say you have that one exhaust fan in the front? if so, tht definitely is the worst possible place to put it. usually you want them close to the cpu in the back of the case... but ideally on the top of the case right above the cpu.

edit... looking at your specific case, I say if you only have 2 fans, mount an exhaust at the top of the case(if it wont fir mount it in the rear. then mount an intake fan on the side panel. putting the intake fan on the front with that case won't be as good since you have a lot of hard drives and trays blocking some of the airflow.

Solution