[SOLVED] Unusual network lag after I installed my second router over 45 meters Cat6 cable.

KevinHizon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I setup my network connection. 1 modem(1 Single Fiber wan + 4 lan gigabit ) - 1 router(1 wan and 4 port gigabit) then 1 switch(24 port gigabit unmanaged) to 1 router (100 Mbps) all are gigabit connection except my wan connection I only have 150 mbps and my secondary router.

I don't experience network lagging even my clients simultaneously on and connected even doing some heavy bandwidth as I manage my bandwidth evenly but after I install my secondary router over lan with 35-45 meters long I experienced latency delayed across my whole network. What is the reason behind this? I need your help guys.

Solution
Ethernet cable is rated to 100meters at 1gbit.

Be sure you have actual ethernet cable. There is a bunch of fake cable on the market they call cat5e cat6 etc since those terms technically mean nothing.

To be eia/tia certified ethernet cable it must be pure copper cable with wire size between 22-24. There is lots of CCA cable being sold on amazon. This cable has lots of issues on longer cables.

A bad cable generally only breaks the device connected to them.

Only thing I can see that would cause a issue with cabling is if you cabled a loop into the network. If for example you ran cable between the routers and also hooked both routers to the switch.

KevinHizon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I already tried that. As my modem act as a router I directly connected it to the switch and change my router 2(100mbps) to my gigabit. Same result internet lagging across the whole network.

Latency.. Could it be my 35-45 meters long cable why so? It's a Cat6 pure copper.

My problem is when my client it just 5-10 connected and doing internet things even my second router connected (and doing internet things too) I didn't experience this lagging but when 11-15 are open the whole network break I get some latency error. Speed-test show latency error.

It can't be as simple as the port speed being 100mbps. The traffic must pass through the port to be slowed. devices directly on you switch or main router will all talk at gigabit to each other.

The only though is you could have a conflict in ip addresses. Make sure you have the second router DHCP Off and have the lan ip set to not conflict

KevinHizon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

I already set my router2 to other lan (192.168.5.1) router1(192.168.1.1) modem lan (192.168.0.1). Hmmpp is that the conflict though? My router2 wan source is from switch1 while my switch connect to my router1. I tried to swap router1 to directly connected to my router2. Same result latency delayed and error.

If you are hooking it to the wan port it is then it doesn't matter as much....but you have segregated the network into multiple.

Especially when you use the WAN port the router is no different than a PC you hook up at 100mbps. It should not cause issues for other devices.

Of course anything behind router 2 will be limited by the 100m port.

Unless you really need the second router as a router try to run it as a AP. The router may have a AP mode otherwise hook to a lan port, change the lan ip to say 192.168.1.250 and disable the dhcp server.

KevinHizon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

i can't draw the topology here but please bear with my explanation modem to router1 to switch 24 ports gigabit - 20 connected to pcs 4 wireless device then switch to router 2. Ip address - 192.168.0.1 - Modem , 192.168.0.2Wan - 192.168.1.1 lan -Router 1, 192.168.100wan - 192.168.5.1-lan router 2.

KevinHizon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Maybe my problem is the cable but before trying it because my cable lan is so complicated need to rooftop and such I wanna know and debug the cable first.

I diagnose my cable first using Trace Route
Router 1 to 2
Cable capable of 100mpbs and 1000 mbps.
Already crop and repeat rj45.
Result 1 6ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1

Ping my computer connected to switch
Result 4 Ping succesful
0ms 0ms 0ms

Hmmm?

KevinHizon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Another question emerge? Could it be the 45 meters connection which actually fine if only I have 10 connection in my entire network running but my network breakdown after several devices connected ?

Ethernet cable is rated to 100meters at 1gbit.

Be sure you have actual ethernet cable. There is a bunch of fake cable on the market they call cat5e cat6 etc since those terms technically mean nothing.

To be eia/tia certified ethernet cable it must be pure copper cable with wire size between 22-24. There is lots of CCA cable being sold on amazon. This cable has lots of issues on longer cables.

A bad cable generally only breaks the device connected to them.

Only thing I can see that would cause a issue with cabling is if you cabled a loop into the network. If for example you ran cable between the routers and also hooked both routers to the switch.

Solution