Question unusual problem... mobo starts only when PSU is jumpered?

Jul 25, 2019
hey all, noob PC builder here.
specs:
Ryzen 2600
G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (only stuck in one for most basic procedure)
EVGA 500 Watt PSU
MSI b450 Gaming Plus

I have this unusual problem. So I have an EVGA 500 Watt PSU. Paperclip test works. But sticking the 20+4 Pin into my MSI b450 Gaming Plus Mobo, nothing starts. But when jumping the 20 pin, sticking the paperclip into the green wire and the black one next to it, the case starts. Ater that, i put my 4 pin into the mobo just as a test, and everything turns on, fans, cpu, etc.
So my PSU can only give power while jumpered. But for gaming, the 4 pin wont give enough power.
So how do I stick the 20 pin in while being jumped???

lol it's a strange happening. but anything helps :)

Jul 25, 2019
You don't. You figure out the problem and you address it.

You have the correct pins connected to your cases front power button, right?

All jumping the green wire with a ground does is emulates what the power button on the case is supposed to do when you press it and it shorts those two pins on the motherboard.
okay thanks, i'll try to check out the case as well, maybe that was the problem

Jul 25, 2019
You don't. You figure out the problem and you address it.

You have the correct pins connected to your cases front power button, right?

All jumping the green wire with a ground does is emulates what the power button on the case is supposed to do when you press it and it shorts those two pins on the motherboard.
so when my case turns on, there were some debug lights (from when i jumped it) the cpu light was on. Anyways, logging off for today. Thanks for the help! I guess my problem was somewhat of a was a complete red herring.