Unusual question i Know

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
Guys..for gaming ..upgrading from a i5 4570 + b85 to a i7 4770K + z87 is worth the money ??? I have an exchange offer..and the person wants me to pay 100$ extra cash...i was planning to upgrade to a 27 inch ips monitor with that money...so just curious...is it worth investing on a 4770k only for gaming??

Solution
It all depends on the games and what you are doing.

Really the only different between those two CPU's is that one has Hyper Threading and the other doesn't. The i5 has 4 Physical Cores and 1 Virtual Core Per Physical Core. the i7 has 4 Physical Cores and 2 Virtual Cores per Physical so it looks like an 8 core CPU. Now if you are doing things like 3D Rendering, Video Editing etc then yea the i7 is the way to go because those program make use of every one of those cores.

In gaming most games don't use more than 2 cores if that. That is why they say for gaming an i5 is more than enough because games will run better on a PC that has less cores but a higher clock rate where as multi threaded programs will run better on more cores but a...

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

i own a single 980 ..was considering it because m seeing all the recent games are recommending 3770 ..so you are saying that i7 4770k wont provide much performance boost?

It all depends on the games and what you are doing.

Really the only different between those two CPU's is that one has Hyper Threading and the other doesn't. The i5 has 4 Physical Cores and 1 Virtual Core Per Physical Core. the i7 has 4 Physical Cores and 2 Virtual Cores per Physical so it looks like an 8 core CPU. Now if you are doing things like 3D Rendering, Video Editing etc then yea the i7 is the way to go because those program make use of every one of those cores.

In gaming most games don't use more than 2 cores if that. That is why they say for gaming an i5 is more than enough because games will run better on a PC that has less cores but a higher clock rate where as multi threaded programs will run better on more cores but a lower clock rate. Yes the i7 is better but remember when they bench mark these CPU's they max them out using all the cores/threads.

Solution

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

yes i am aware of that....my cpu cannot be overclocked , that is my main concern...it was 4670k i wouldn't even have given this a second thought...but thanks anyways ...your replies were helpful :)

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

no I cannot overclock it at all :) haswell locked cpus are "locked" in every sense of the word...sandy bridge 3770 could be overclocked though...but not dis one

TRENDING THREADS