Aug 18, 2022
A few months ago my RAM started acting up, memtest86 threw errors and I RMA-d it.

While I was waiting for the new RAM sticks I used a friend's unused RAM stick and it worked just fine.

Today the new RAM arrived, and one of the sticks causes Windows to crash almost immediately after boot. The other seems to be working fine. But this time, memtest reports 0 errors, and I just got this RAM from the RMA center half way across Europe and really do not wish to go through all that again just for it to not work a third time.

RAM in question: g.skill trident z neo 2x16 GB 3600C16D

Edit: the crash depends on which stick I use, not which motherboard slot.

4745454b

Titan
Double check to make sure the timings are being set correctly. But if it always crashes if you use stick X but not stick Y, that's your issue.

There is a chance you will never get that stick to run at 3600MHz. if you don't want to deal with another return, try to see if it runs at 3200MHz. Or at CL17 instead of 16.

A few months ago my RAM started acting up, memtest86 threw errors and I RMA-d it.

While I was waiting for the new RAM sticks I used a friend's unused RAM stick and it worked just fine.

Today the new RAM arrived, and one of the sticks causes Windows to crash almost immediately after boot. The other seems to be working fine. But this time, memtest reports 0 errors, and I just got this RAM from the RMA center half way across Europe and really do not wish to go through all that again just for it to not work a third time.

Are you sure these 2 sticks of ram are exactly the same?
Look close at the label on each.
CpuZ will also show info about each stick.

Aug 18, 2022
Double check to make sure the timings are being set correctly. But if it always crashes if you use stick X but not stick Y, that's your issue.

There is a chance you will never get that stick to run at 3600MHz. if you don't want to deal with another return, try to see if it runs at 3200MHz. Or at CL17 instead of 16.

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately, neither changing the frequency nor changing the timings (nor both) helps with the issue.

The issue also persists no matter if I enable DOCP and set everything manually or disable it and let it be set automatically.

Aug 18, 2022
Are you sure these 2 sticks of ram are exactly the same?
Look close at the label on each.
CpuZ will also show info about each stick.

I got them as a set and after another look I can in fact confirm the sticks are identical, the only difference is that one's serial number is higher by 1 and that one of them makes Windows crash.

What is rest of your system ?