[SOLVED] Unusual Startup Repair Loop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I have an old Dell Optiplex 330 that I was trying to update the bios on to fix another issue. After I installed the updated bios file from Dell, I restarted the computer, leading to issues that are described in the other post. Basically, it was telling me that the boot disc was corrupted. I took a break from trying to work it out and when I came back later and turned it on, I got the Startup Repair screen where you have the option to do Startup Repair or boot normally. When I chose boot normally, It went to the "Starting Windows" screen but no windows logo, and then the pc restarted and went back to the Startup Repair or boot normally screen. If I choose Startup Repair, it says "loading windows files" with the loading bar, screen goes black, then restarts and goes back to the Startup Repair option screen just like the boot normally option. I'm not that familiar with Windows 7, but I'm pretty sure selecting Startup Repair is supposed to put you into some sort of Windows graphic interface instead of just the bios. So what is happening here, and how can I repair it, if possible? I don't have the original Windows 7 disc or anything, I got this PC used.
Sorry if this was already discussed, I couldn't find any info about the Startup Repair loop where it didn't go into the Windows interface.

Thanks!

Solution
It's rare the chkdsk or sfc solve problems, but they do give an insight into to condition your hdd and Windows install. It is sounding more and more like your Windows install is corrupted, so a re-install would probably solve your issues; and yes if you have a ISO on USB for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and a key for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, there should be no problem activating the install, as long as you have a valid key. I would try again to run chkdsk, as it will advise if your hdd was damaged, and possibly do some repair work. BTW you can run chkdsk inside window if it boots to your desktop again, it will give you an error message and then ask if you want to schedule a chkdsk next time to reboot; you should say Y(es) and then...

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
That is between you and your worldview. I have bought Windows OS from ebay, but I always choose one that came with a Windows disk and COA label (which is no guarntee either). Will it work? Probabaly
Ok I see what you are saying. I think I'll use the Windows 10 Refurbished PC COA that's on the PC (It must have been unused by the previous owner, as the scratch-off material covering the key was still intact). I was hoping to save it, but if I don't really have any other 100% legitimate options I'm happy to use it and get this computer running again. I'll make a Win 10 bootable USB, and see how that goes. If that doesn't work and I have to reformat again, do you think doing a "quick" format is fine for this situation, or should I stick to the normal formatting?

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
So to summarize for any other people who might have this problem:
Wipe and reformat your drive in another PC (I don't know if it would be possible on the same system), and then reinstall your OS with a disc or USB drive.
Thanks for all of onespeedbiker's help!