Unusual Virus Definition Update Activity

TR

I use Norton Antivirus 2003. Usually, and unless some major threat is
out there on the web, NAV usually doesn’t have an update to its virus
definitions except for once a week, usually on Wednesdays. However,
for the last week and a half, there have been virus definition updates
every other day and sometimes every day.

Without getting into NAV vs. brand X in this discussion, is there some
threat going around out there in the last couple of weeks that has the
virus protection community rushing to get definition updates out on a
compressed time schedule?

Regards,
TR

Two things. First, McAfee recently announced daily updates.

Second, how about that 750Kb virus definitions update in the last several
days? You just know that Symantec is slipping something in under the guise
of "virus definition updates".

"TR" <spamtrap@spamhell.com> wrote in message
> I use Norton Antivirus 2003. Usually, and unless some major threat is
> out there on the web, NAV usually doesn't have an update to its virus
> definitions except for once a week, usually on Wednesdays. However,
> for the last week and a half, there have been virus definition updates
> every other day and sometimes every day.
>
> Without getting into NAV vs. brand X in this discussion, is there some
> threat going around out there in the last couple of weeks that has the
> virus protection community rushing to get definition updates out on a
> compressed time schedule?
>
> Regards,
> TR

TR

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:37:15 GMT, "Gordon McLean, Jr."
<g.d.mcleanStrikeThis@attStrikeThis.net> wrote:

>Second, how about that 750Kb virus definitions update in the last several
>days? You just know that Symantec is slipping something in under the guise
>of "virus definition updates".

That's what I'm talking about.... Seem to be an abnormal amount of
virus definition updates going on for the past two weeks. As far as
slipping something in on us.... I wouldn't put it past them to try and
"Snoop & Poop" around my system but I would assume trying to sneak
something on a system would be done with one of their later day
versions of software and not my old 2003 copy of NAV.

Regards,
TR

Scott

TR wrote:

> I use Norton Antivirus 2003. Usually, and unless some major threat is
> out there on the web, NAV usually doesn’t have an update to its virus
> definitions except for once a week, usually on Wednesdays. However,
> for the last week and a half, there have been virus definition updates
> every other day and sometimes every day.
>
> Without getting into NAV vs. brand X in this discussion, is there some
> threat going around out there in the last couple of weeks that has the
> virus protection community rushing to get definition updates out on a
> compressed time schedule?
>
> Regards,
> TR

TR,

I always manually update NAV's virus definitions. I do it every few days,
and I haven't noticed any unusual pattern lately.

Scott