[SOLVED] Unwanted tab opened?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
I currently take classes online through the use of zoom and google classroom,while my teacher was screen sharing on zoom and it was full screen and my google classroom was in the background it seems that my school’s website opened in a new tab,I looked all around to see where I could’ve clicked but there is no link to even take me there,what happened?I ran a full windows defender scan and it found nothing.

Solution
I am not seeing any immediate cause for concern.

Just keep watching to determine if the new tab reopens again.

Could have been a fluke of circumstances.

If not, I would expect some pattern being involved that includes your teacher's screen manipulations, Zoom, and Chrome.

Meaning the new tab may appear again.

The good part of all that is that you noted the new tab and now know what to watch for.

Continue watching....

Ralston18

Titan
If it is/was a "one time" occurrence then likely just some odd software glitch or minor bug.

With Zoom, Google Classroom, screen sharing etc. all going the new tab may not at all be anything you did or some problem on your computer.

If the problem reoccurs - report it to your teacher and/or School IT staff. Maybe someone else had the same thing happen.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
If it is/was a "one time" occurrence then likely just some odd software glitch or minor bug.

With Zoom, Google Classroom, screen sharing etc. all going the new tab may not at all be anything you did or some problem on your computer.

If the problem reoccurs - report it to your teacher and/or School IT staff. Maybe someone else had the same thing happen.
It’s never happened,so if I scanned my pc and I got nothing detected then it’s not an issue on my end?

Ralston18

Titan
Likely not an issue on your end. Or at least not a permanent issue.

If the problem re-occurs, becomes more frequent, or changes in some manner then more investigation will be necessary.

====

Now is a good time to familiarize yourself with some of Windows' built-in diagnostic tools:

Task Manager

Resource Monitor

Reliability History

Event Viewer

File History

====

Get a sense of what your system "looks like " when all is normal.

Do not panic if you see errors or other problems - those are and will be present on many systems. (Such errors are often used by scammers to scare people into granting remote access the the victims' computer to"fix the problem".

For the record: Microsoft/Windows does not call people to fix things.

Do not randomly start fixing things. Ensure that there is a specific and ongoing problem. Research real problems and do not give into the temptation to download some app or utility claiming to fix any given problem. Some of those "fixes" will show up no matter what problem you are addressing.

Know what all is launched at startup. How much disk space and memory you have. How much is being used.

Learn how to properly physically clean the computer. Likewise for software: that includes removing unused apps, temporary files, obsolete data....

Backup, backup, and backup.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
Likely not an issue on your end. Or at least not a permanent issue.

If the problem re-occurs, becomes more frequent, or changes in some manner then more investigation will be necessary.

====

Now is a good time to familiarize yourself with some of Windows' built-in diagnostic tools:

Task Manager

Resource Monitor

Reliability History

Event Viewer

File History

====

Get a sense of what your system "looks like " when all is normal.

Do not panic if you see errors or other problems - those are and will be present on many systems. (Such errors are often used by scammers to scare people into granting remote access the the victims' computer to"fix the problem".

For the record: Microsoft/Windows does not call people to fix things.

Do not randomly start fixing things. Ensure that there is a specific and ongoing problem. Research real problems and do not give into the temptation to download some app or utility claiming to fix any given problem. Some of those "fixes" will show up no matter what problem you are addressing.

Know what all is launched at startup. How much disk space and memory you have. How much is being used.

Learn how to properly physically clean the computer. Likewise for software: that includes removing unused apps, temporary files, obsolete data....

Backup, backup, and backup.
I’m just confused because there was no link I could’ve pressed to get to that website but also it’s not some random website that I don’t recognize,so if the windows defender full scan didn’t detect anything then I don’t have malware?

Ralston18

Titan
Very much doubt that malware is involved.

Especially being, so far, a one time occurrence. And there would be little point in re-presenting your school's website.

I occasionally mis-click and open a website twice. Generally my immediate response is to just click "X" and close the duplicate window.

====

Maybe download and install free Malwarebytes directly from Malwarebytes' website and install.

Then just to run a few scans during the next couple of weeks.

Beyond that, be sure you are keeping the virus definitions and software up to date.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
Very much doubt that malware is involved.

Especially being, so far, a one time occurrence. And there would be little point in re-presenting your school's website.

I occasionally mis-click and open a website twice. Generally my immediate response is to just click "X" and close the duplicate window.

====

Maybe download and install free Malwarebytes directly from Malwarebytes' website and install.

Then just to run a few scans during the next couple of weeks.

Beyond that, be sure you are keeping the virus definitions and software up to date.
Is a full windows defender scan good?The thing is that I didn’t click anything,whenever my teacher presents on zoom it goes full screen and prior to that I only clicked my zoom link. idk how this would be linked to my school as it’s my personal computer,at the same time it probably is something with my school account as I don’t think malware would take me to my schools website lol

Ralston18

Titan
I currently take classes online through the use of zoom and google classroom,while my teacher was screen sharing on zoom and it was full screen and my google classroom was in the background it seems that my school’s website opened in a new tab,I looked all around to see where I could’ve clicked but there is no link to even take me there,what happened?I ran a full windows defender scan and it found nothing.

If the Zoom meeting was in a full screen, how did you see the new tab open? Are you sure that was not on the teachers computer that was sharing the screen?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
If the Zoom meeting was in a full screen, how did you see the new tab open? Are you sure that was not on the teachers computer that was sharing the screen?
Well after he finished,he stopped screensharing and zoom minimizes again, and I saw it in the background,in my chrome window,I could also see it in my chrome history

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
This:

"whenever my teacher presents on zoom it goes full screen "

It could be that your teacher has some screen control. Either intentionally, by happenstance, or by default.

Zoom permits/supports quite a number of related options.

References:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362673-Requesting-or-giving-remote-control

https://eng.inn.no/conferences/prev...nce-delegates/simple-how-to-zoom-instructions

Talk with your teacher.
I’m not concerned that it goes full screen,I’m concerned that a new tab opened on my chrome window without me knowing,I’m guessing this happened while my zoom was full screen, the new tab was to my school’s website,there was nothing on the screen I could’ve clicked on to direct me there which is why I’m confused

Ralston18

Titan
I am not seeing any immediate cause for concern.

Just keep watching to determine if the new tab reopens again.

Could have been a fluke of circumstances.

If not, I would expect some pattern being involved that includes your teacher's screen manipulations, Zoom, and Chrome.

Meaning the new tab may appear again.

The good part of all that is that you noted the new tab and now know what to watch for.

Continue watching....

Solution