[SOLVED] Up or Down (Bottom Mount) PSU/Fan

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I'm having an internal debate with myself and would like some input.

I'm swapping to a new case and new GPU. The case is a Corsair 220t and the GPU is an MSI 2070 Super Gaming X.

In my old case I had the PSU fan down, intake from below. The case was open, meaning not a closed PSU chamber, but I just initially put it in fan down and never thought about it.

With the new case there is a PSU chamber but there are holes for airflow, so mounting the fan up is possible and here's why I'm debating it-

The GPU nearly reaches the intake fans but there is about a 15mm gap- see pics... so the bottom two intake fans should create a cold air 'pocket' between the PSU shroud and the GPU.

I was debating if it's best to leave it all for the GPU fans to use or put the PSU fan up so it intakes from that 'pocket.'

An added benefit if the PSU fan up is that it puts the PSU wires in the back (being a semi- modular PSU...until I upgrade it soon).

Also, I'm adding a Corsair Commander Pro so I'll be able to monitor temps. Say I leave it one way for a time then flip it over and ultimately see which is better.

And about the Commander Pro- what are the best locations for the thermal sensors?

I was thinking one behind the top intake fans, one behind the bottom intake fans (in the 'pocket'), one near the rear exhaust fan (top corner'ish) and one in the pocket near the expansion slots.

Last edited:
Solution
Just leave the psu fan facing down. It doesn't need to be competing with the gpu for air.
It would be better if that psu shroud could be removed - they've already been shown to impact gpu cooling. Yes, I know it looks better with it, but I'm just saying.

That small area of pre-drilled holes in the psu shroud are pointless, since the psu blocks any air from going up that way.
The gpu has access to air from the rear and front of the case; the bottom is essentially covered/blocked off.

I can't comment on the Commander Pro, as I've never used one.

I'll put it fan down like I originally planned.

But yeah, with the dust filters on bottom the holes above the PSU seemed pointless to me. But looking at it yesterday I figured the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just leave the psu fan facing down. It doesn't need to be competing with the gpu for air.
It would be better if that psu shroud could be removed - they've already been shown to impact gpu cooling. Yes, I know it looks better with it, but I'm just saying.

That small area of pre-drilled holes in the psu shroud are pointless, since the psu blocks any air from going up that way.
The gpu has access to air from the rear and front of the case; the bottom is essentially covered/blocked off.

Reactions: CountMike

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

I'll put it fan down like I originally planned.

But yeah, with the dust filters on bottom the holes above the PSU seemed pointless to me. But looking at it yesterday I figured the holes are there so there is the option to mount the fan up...for instance if the PC is sitting on carpet (which it's not in my case).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS