Up Time not Resetting each Boot

ObsidianObelisk17

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
First off, this is in no way a major issue. It is a mild annoyance where I would say, "That's kinda weird," then forget about later.
Anyway, the Up Time clock in Task Manager on Windows 10 is saying what I can assume is the total time my computer has been on since I installed Windows 10, while carrying over the time of each past up time. It's almost at 12 days now, but I've been turning it off and on sometimes several times a day. Does anyone else experience this or know of a fix/workaround? Again, this is no big issue, but I can bet a data center or server host would like the correct up time for their computers.
I am running Windows 10 Pro with the most recent updates.

bailojustin

Distinguished
The time on your computer is not set correctly is that what you are saying?

if you need the time to update and keep itself, than this is a problem with your CMOS battery and it needs to be replaced.

This little battery on the motherboard is what saves the internal clock and settings on the computer when its off.

ObsidianObelisk17

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

When I was switching the motherboards I changed the CMOS battery to a new one, but the problem is in the operating system itself. The Up Time in task manager, under performance, then CPU, is showing the collective time my computer has been on including past boots. Normally, Up Time resets after a computer turns off, so if my computer was on for 6 hours, it would reset to 0 when I restart my computer, but this is adding to the time. I turned it off last night and turned it on today and its almost at 12 days of up time, which is incorrect.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the uptime in task manager only resets if you do a restart, not if you turn PC on/off as usual

Win 10 doesn't turn off like other Windows versions, it goes into hybred hibernate and is only sleeping after you turn it off. It saves half the data to ram and other half to storage so that when you start PC its super fast as half of the data already in memory.

To stop it doing that and maybe have the "correct" uptime in task manager, turn off fast startup

it also resets if you unplug PC. It resets if its turned off, the only time that happens is during a restart command, not a shutdown.

ObsidianObelisk17

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

In the past few weeks, I have switched out the RAM multiple times, turned it completely off, requiring it to POST, go through the bios, search for RAIDs, all the stuff my motherboard does each power on. Plus, I was on vacation about a week ago, and the PSU was powered off and unplugged for several days. I have also reset the CMOS multiple times by removing the battery. All of this stuff isn't because of this issue, I've just been messing around with it. I turn it off each night using the Power Off option in the start menu.

bailojustin

Distinguished

I don't know if you did a proper cmos reset, But follow the steps to make sure you did.
Remove the computer from the wall, UNplug the PSU.
Hold the power button for 15 seconds
remove the CMOS battery
HOLD THE POWER BUTTON for 15 SECONDS, If you have CMOS jumpers, Jump them now.
put the cmos battery back in
boot up the computer.

if this does not fix your problem,
open cmd prompt as Admin,
type
sfc /scannow

This is a system file checker

Colif

Win 11 Master
Only fix is turn off fast start up or just ignore it as its not a real problem, Its just windows doesn't reset the timer unless PC is restarted. Windows updates will reset it as it does a restart to let them install. If you have fast start up on, and don't restart PC inbetween, it can be as much as 29 days between a restart