[SOLVED] Up to 65C idle with brand new ryzen 3700x

Aug 8, 2020
I have lowered the voltage down to 1.25 because before it was idling at 70-80C(didnt mean to post twice)

I have
GTX 1080ti
Ryzen 3700x(stock prism cooler)
corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 3200mhz ram
256gb SSD
2tb HHD(internal)
2tb HHD(external)
Cooler master master box pro 5
EVGA supernova 850w

Last edited:
Solution
AS5 sucks. It's a mediocre paste to start with, and I do not like it on 3000 series Ryzen as they do not respond well to the 'pea blob' way of pasting. The chiplets are too close to sides and corners, the 'spreader' method by credit card or spatula is preferred. Which can put AS5 over the edges if too much is applied, which can be a serious issue. I do like thermal grizzly, but it has had multiple reports of batches scratching the base/IHS due to contaminants or something else, so I'm not that trusting of it. My preference is Noctua NT-H1 (NT-H2 is somewhat thicker and better for gpus), Prolimatech PK3, Gelid Extreme, Phanteks or NZXT stock pastes. CM and Corsair are hit/miss as to which is included with the cooler, some are really...
The stock cooler for the 3700x is really inadequate and only meant for stock frequency and having decent extraction fans.

You have a mid tower case and using a none reference GPU which would not help. Much depends also on ambient room temps and the case fans you have. It does not surprise me your temps are what they are. Also the TIM you have applied can make a difference of maybe 6-10 C. AS5 or thermal grizzly kryonaut are good.
You should also test the system under load using AIDA64 stress test.

My advice is to install a top mounted AIO water cooler min H100i or NZXT Kraken Z63 equivalent if you intend to Overclock.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have
GTX 1080ti
Ryzen 3700x(stock prism cooler)
corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 3200mhz ram
256gb SSD
2tb HHD(internal)
2tb HHD(external)
Cooler master master box pro 5
EVGA supernova 850w
You either get a new cooler, or get a new chassis.
If the choice is the former, there's a need to brute force air though, because the Masterbox Pro 5 has few cooling options, and the chassis itself isn't very airflow friendly.
Get a 280 or 360mm AIO/CLC to mount in the front, and have the radiator fans set to pull air through, not push. Remove the fans already in the front of the chassis - they'll just get in the way.

If the choice is the latter... perhaps a Cooler Master TD500 Mesh?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AS5 sucks. It's a mediocre paste to start with, and I do not like it on 3000 series Ryzen as they do not respond well to the 'pea blob' way of pasting. The chiplets are too close to sides and corners, the 'spreader' method by credit card or spatula is preferred. Which can put AS5 over the edges if too much is applied, which can be a serious issue. I do like thermal grizzly, but it has had multiple reports of batches scratching the base/IHS due to contaminants or something else, so I'm not that trusting of it. My preference is Noctua NT-H1 (NT-H2 is somewhat thicker and better for gpus), Prolimatech PK3, Gelid Extreme, Phanteks or NZXT stock pastes. CM and Corsair are hit/miss as to which is included with the cooler, some are really decent, some aren't so much.

Not a fan of Aida64. It uses outdated content from 2012 in the linpack it uses, including AVX so can end up with @ 80% to 130% loads in non continuous levels. Kinda sucks to get a stable baseline temp when loads are bouncing all over the place, some peaking well above expected usage. Prime95 small fft with AVX tech disabled is much better for a 100% consistent load equitable to gaming temp outputs. Use of Ryzen Master is also recommended. HWInfo (sensors only) for more in depth monitoring.

3700x is the king of larger cpu power consumption, PPT of 88w, PBO pulling max of 104w ±. Meaning a 240mm (250w) AIO is more than sufficient for decent temps at full boost. The larger 280mm/360mm only recommended for miserable airflow cases, such as the MasterBox 5, or for noise limiting factors from ultra low fan rpm. At low rpm, pull is somewhat more effective than push, so with the AIO's, unless there's a need for rgb fan rings visible, pull is a better option either top or front makes little difference.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution