Upcoming Asus Eee PC's Have 14-Hour Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrial_zman

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
USB 3.0 on the Asus Eee PC 1018P is a waste of resources. The Atom platform, including supporting chipsets, are way to slow to opperate at full 5Gbps performance. Even if someone releases another chip that can handle such performance for the Atom, Intel would be hypocratic by letting that company support the Atom yet suing nVidia for the ION chips for the Atom.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I wonder what the 101T (or whatever the new eeeeeeeeeeee touch's number is) will have for battery life.[/citation]

Exactly what i was thinking before finishing the article. The eee touch version seemed very interesting. Too bad there 's no more hype about it. Let's see if there's some follow up about the new pine-trail eee touch.

racermx187

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Would make a sweet Ubuntu setup.[/citation]

Yea I am with you guys. I would be very interested in one of these if they came out with a touch version. Would be perfect for all of my engineering classes

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Wow. I was happy with my eee 904H's 6.5 hour battery life, 14 is awesome! Who in their right mind would get an iPad over an eee?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]industrial_zman[/nom]USB 3.0 on the Asus Eee PC 1018P is a waste of resources. The Atom platform, including supporting chipsets, are way to slow to opperate at full 5Gbps performance. Even if someone releases another chip that can handle such performance for the Atom, Intel would be hypocratic by letting that company support the Atom yet suing nVidia for the ION chips for the Atom.[/citation]

Can it go faster than USB2.0? If so, then it isn't a waste. If not then yeah I agree, unless they make things that only work with 3.0.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
ASUS and MSI, geez they have stolen the laptop space. They make HP seem overpriced ontop of being low quality. I mean $1500 for ASUS new G51 with an ATI Mobility HD5870 that performs on a level similar to a $1000 Desktop. I am surprised they aren't selling that thing for $2500.

This is what "netbooks" need to have. They have no chance of advantage anywhere else. They aren't powerful, not much more portable than a 12.1" laptop and typically are only $100-200 less than a decent laptop. You'd think they should have long battery life to make up for a cost over $200.

industrial_zman

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Can it go faster than USB2.0? If so, then it isn't a waste. If not then yeah I agree, unless they make things that only work with 3.0.[/citation]

The bottle neck is in the FSB. The fastest Atom FSB is 667 MHz with a 64 bit wide bus. 667 MHz * 64 bit = 4.2 Gbps theoretical peak. But most Atom procs (including Pine Trail) are running a 32 bit bus, so 1/2 of 4.2 Gbps is 2.1 Gbps. Even the fastest through the FSB will still cap out .8 Gbps and 2.9 Gbps on the 32 bit bus lower than the USB 3.0 specs.

You will have a lot of people argue about the capabilities of a northbridge or southbridge that elevates some of that bandwidth from FSB to it's own thing. Which is all fine and dandy if there was such a northbridge and southbridge that currently exists that supports USB 3.0 natively. Which there isn't yet. So you are looking at a third party USB 3.0 controller that would tie back into the FSB to connect to the rest of the computer.

Now, I am not recanting what I said earlier. There is one advantage to having USB 3.0 over 2.0 on any portable device. This also is a disadvantage. The power out from 2.0 is 500 mA while 3.0 increased it to 900 mA. Have you ever owned a portable hard drive or optical drive and noticed that it came with a funky Y adapter to plug into your machine? Well that because they typically needed more than 500 mA to power the device optimally. The draw back(no pun intended)is that they pull more power therefor giving you less battery time.

void5

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
industrial_zman, your "math" is quite off. 667 MHz * 64 bit = 42 Gbps, not 4.2. And this bus simply can't run "in 32-bit mode" - 64-bit only.

And, BTW, there is no need to use FSB for USB bulk transfers at all. Have you ever heard about DMA/bus mastering?

G

There has been much talk that this is pure marketing B#llS#t...
Everyone knows that on their present 12 hour battery life devices you can barely get that on stand by.
As soon as you're actually using the machine, the wifi, and the screen, that you're only getting upto 8 hours of extremely light use (like browsing, or typing).

The 14 hours is just a marketing tool to win the contest of longest battery life HP VS MSI VS ACER VS Asus.
In real fact all brands use the same hardware under the hood, so their 14hrs numbering is pretty much unattainable, thus ridiculous.

there's no organization at this time addressing these issues of overrating battery life; so the major companies (especially Asus) are pepping up some specs numbers that are hard to actually measure, to get over the competition.

Most consumers don't notice anyways. Marketing strategies like these, make me want to purchase from the competition.
It's always better to have a device that operates better than the specs mention!

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]There has been much talk that this is pure marketing B#llS#t...Everyone knows that on their present 12 hour battery life devices you can barely get that on stand by.As soon as you're actually using the machine, the wifi, and the screen, that you're only getting upto 8 hours of extremely light use (like browsing, or typing).The 14 hours is just a marketing tool to win the contest of longest battery life HP VS MSI VS ACER VS Asus.In real fact all brands use the same hardware under the hood, so their 14hrs numbering is pretty much unattainable, thus ridiculous.[/citation]
Have you seen the real-world tests yet? I know as much as you apparently do that these "up to" claims are over-inflated most of the time, some more of a margin that others. Let's wait until it comes out to bash it before calling BS without any evidence or how well it really does. If it says 14 hours, I would expect no less than 8 no matter what kind of use it is subjected to - which is still good. For me, I'm just happy the days of 2 hour battery life are over! I look forward to what the next generation has to offer from Asus.

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
[citation][nom]jblack[/nom]The title is misleading. There are current Eee Pc's with a 14 hour battery life.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6834220683[/citation]
Uhh just to let you know, it's CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE... =D

Status
Not open for further replies.