Upcoming Build Critiques + Can't pick Case

LeviKosters

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here but I figured you guys are some of the better go-to options if I want to talk about my upcoming PC build.

This PC was built with content creation, gaming but mostly 3D modeling and extensive rendering into mind using V-Ray for Maya / 3DS Max 3.5 and up.

Motherboard: ASROCK X99 Extreme4

I already own this motherboard from my previous build and am quite satisfied with how it's been holding up. I don't worry about wireless internet as I have my own wired connection when I'm going into my dorms next year in university. It supports up to 128GB of RAM if the need for that ever arises and up to 3-way SLI may I ever be in need of more horsepower.

CPU: Intel 5930k OC @4.4Ghz

I'm currently running this GPU and it too has held up great over the past two years. I have thought about changing it into a Ryzen 1800X, but there are three factors that keep me from doing so:

1. The current market with Threadripper and Intel's i9 line coming up is in a very fluid state and with prices that can drop after that release, I'd rather wait with upgrading.
2. My budget is rather tight, so I only picked parts that really needed upgrading.
3. There's very little increase in performance between the 1800X and the 5930k, mainly a 44% increase in multi-threading performance but with an already 25% in cores / threads the added 19% in performance is not worth the €370 price tag for me.

PSU: EVGA G2 850W

I already had this in my current build and there is no real need for an upgrade. With my new build running on fairly high capacity (non-overclocked) I hit a voltage of ~570W, which leaves me with 180W to play around with.

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4-3000MHz

Then on to the first real upgrade in this PC, I picked the G.Skill Trident Z over Corsair's Vengeance and Dominator Platinum range because of the more competitive price and aesthetic look of the slots. Although my motherboard is blue, I aim to create a red / white / blue build because of my favorite sneakers (Air Jordan 1s Top 3) and my country flag (The Netherlands). Furthermore I can use the full extent of 3000MHz as my motherboard allows for OC'd RAM to a maximum of 3000MHz.

GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 1080Ti 11GB.

For the second upgrade, I decided for the 1080Ti over the 1080 because I wanted my build to be as future proof as possible. With the increasing investment into GPU rendering using CUDA cores by V-Ray and other render-engines as Octane I was sure to make the most out of this card. The extra 3GB of VRAM is an added bonus.

I also went with a founders card instead of a ROG STRIX because it's compatible with my water cooling block.

SSD: Crucial 512GB SSD

This is no upgrade either, but the 512GB is well enough for me to install all the programs and drivers I need as well as some extra leg room for important documents.

HDD 01: Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

I already own the same HDD and this will mostly be used to store games and other large programs, as well as torrented movies or series.

HDD 02: Caviar Blue 4TB 3.5" 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

I aim to use this for incremental saves and temporary files as well as large texture maps and other stuff that comes with the tasks of modeling and rendering inside Maya and V-Ray. It needs to serve me for the next 4 years so 4TB should be enough.

Cooling: EK240G Custom Water-cooling loop

I'm incredibly interested in building this custom loop for the first time ever. This will help with keeping everything cool under load and with thin dorm room walls I think my neighbors will appreciate it all the same.

Now on to the tricky part: The case. I'm stuck between multiple cases all of which have their own up-and downsides. I'll list them all below with the biggest pro's and cons (to me).

Corsair Crystal 570X

Pro's:

- Super clean aesthetic. I love the simple, rectangle shape it has and the all in tempered glass.
- The exhaust fans at the top really help keep the system cool. It's also a possible spot to put my radiator.
- Great airflow capabilities.

Con's:

- the wiring from the PSU is super visible.
- For my own OCD sake I'm forced to buy 3 aftermarket Corsair RGB fans.
- Not as great in cable management in the case.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass

Pro's:
- The inside is amazing for cable management and overall aesthetic.
- A top radiator mounting rack.
- Very good airflow for air cooling.

Con's:
- Lesser airflow when water-cooled, but that could be due to other people's much larger systems and reservoirs in the way.
- The shape doesn't really appeal to me.
- The top radiator rack blocks part of the motherboard.

NZXT 340 Elite

Pro's:
- I currently own a NZXT340 so I have building experience inside this case. I can plan out where to place my reservoir / pump combo and how to route my pipes.
- It's of decent build quality.
- Great minimalist aesthetic.
- Again, great airflow.

Con's:
- There's only a single 120-140mm fan option at the top.
- The front panel on mine broke after using it twice.
- The fans in my system are literally falling apart.
- I hate the cable management options in this case, it to me is not very clean.

If you have any suggestions for cases, or know a clean simple tempered glass case like the NZXT340 Elite or Corsair Crystal 570X with better cable management options please let me know. I'll be forever grateful!