Upcoming Thermal Compound Shootout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wich thermal compound would you like to be added in the review?

• Coollaboraty Liquid Pro

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Zalman ZM-STG1

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Artic Silver Ceramique

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • OCZ Ultra 5+

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Cooler Master High Performance HTK-002

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • StarTech HEATGREASE10

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • FrozenCPU Copper Thermal Compound

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Thermalright Chill Factor

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Lapping might not be the most real world condition, but we want to achieve is best performance and lapping on its own can boost you a tops of 12c at load (rare cases) and 4~5c on regular conditions. This is why, in our search for ultimate lower temps, we have decided to mirror lap the HSF.
I would lap the CPU too but lapping a 'new' C2D doesnt seem to be something Ninja will be up to...

@Doughbuy:
What exactly do you mean by extreme thermal cycles? Like Off, then Load, Then shut-down for an hour and again?
The plan is: Prime95 load for several hours -> shut down for about an hour -> repeat.

@DaSickNinja
Since it doesnt need any 'curing period' it would be fairly easy.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
3 whinges...

1. Please define 'perfectly lapped' to someone that has access to an electron microscope... (I'd suggest to leave it out, real world comparisons are better.)

2. No peanut butter. Would it actually last 100 hrs?

3. No man-paste. I'd make bets on this one NOT lasting 100 hrs....

OK, I'll go back to lurking...

G

ummmmm...

ohhhhh?

ahhhhhhhhhh!

Yup that's my reaction.

Could you try some Lube, no curring, contains silicon, strawberry would smell good.

Uhhh... yeaaaah.....

GENERAL NOTICE

Anyways, with regards to the tests, after much deliberation between DaClan's members, and looking over facts and possible variances, we've decided not to do any lapping. The amount of variables that can arise from doing such, would put effective (and might I mention accurate) tests out of our control. Also, since only a small portion of the overclocking crowd laps their heatsinks, this makes doing such quite unfeasible for tests. So with all that in mind we've made this decision in good faith and sound mind.
So please, read this, and don't bother us about it. *sneeze*
Thanks for all and any help, and please continue to vote for the final five.
From my crew to yours,
Juan
DaClan Senior Member and Founder

Reviewed and Copied to:
Drew - 3lfKing

Dario - rawritsdario

PS: No, "We told you so" replies, okay? :)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
We also thought of many other variables we could eliminate in order to reduce any possible fluctiations in our test results. Anything that could possibly alter the state of the testbed during the test phase(s) has been thoroughly delt with by DaClan.

Expect DaClan to offer many more pictures than other review websites in order to make you, the reader, feel confident that our tests are 100% spot on and that there are absolutely no discripencies in our testing methods. Each picture will be labled in detail so that you know what is going on throughout the testing procedure.

Every test will be setup the exact same and each procedure will be clearly labled during each step of the testing cycle. In the end our results will give you a clear and decisive winner.

We DaClan would like to thank all of our contributors and readers for all your thoughts, feelings, and input. Please check back often for the latest on our interesting product reviews.

~3lfk1ng

Join? I'm not sure, that's a group decision that left my hands as soon as this became a board member and not a "CEO". You can support the clan by posting this in your signature:
281164631469fx7.png

Just copy the above image code to your signature.
Go here to test:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/BBCode-Banner-ftopict18704.html#442740

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
no you guys go ahead.

ill keep reading and give any usefull (hopefully) advise that i can. 8)

edit; hey why not throw in the basic white paste?
just for $hits and giggles.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Impress any of the members with your expertise and you will be seriously considered.

i really only try to help with a question that i think can answer.
and to learn from everyone else.

kudos (is that how the young ones say it) to you guys
for this shoot out thing also like ninjas vista thing too.

keep goin and ill keep reading and help in any way i can.

8)

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Its not my test. This time, Dario's running the show. Its up to him and the votes.
Nice chick. Lacking in the booty section though. Heres this Weeks Babe:
62148688eb2e2f6226obi3.jpg

Booyashaka.

Her butt is gross. Waay too many donuts.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I've got an idea, I'll supercede all the formalities and make you a member if you do that test.

Hahaha, don't push me...I've got an old PD 805 lying right here, and a 2.8 prescott somewhere in the closet. Go ahead and vote:

1. Crest Total Care Plus Whitening
2. Colgate Total w/Triclosan
3. Tom's of Maine for Sensitive Teeth
4. Closeup Cinnamon
5. Listerine Essential Care
6. Arm & Hammer with Baking Soda

sailer

Splendid
Eh, thats what you get when you go for asian girls. If you want one with... decent ones...

scarlett.jpg

Humm, the sign behind the girl says "Golden Globes". Yes, I think that describes them.

Now to get to installing the FX60 that I just got and see what happens. Doubt its going to get any Golden Globes to my place, though.