Upcoming Thermal Compound Shootout

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wich thermal compound would you like to be added in the review?

• Coollaboraty Liquid Pro

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Zalman ZM-STG1

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Artic Silver Ceramique

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • OCZ Ultra 5+

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Cooler Master High Performance HTK-002

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • StarTech HEATGREASE10

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • FrozenCPU Copper Thermal Compound

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Thermalright Chill Factor

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I seem to recall reading that buckyballs are quite hazardous, they tend to cluster in the brain if inhaled/ingested. So I'd probably pass on thermal interface compound made from them, seems a little too risky...

I've never snorted thermal grease. Did Baron teach you that trick?

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I seem to recall reading that buckyballs are quite hazardous, they tend to cluster in the brain if inhaled/ingested. So I'd probably pass on thermal interface compound made from them, seems a little too risky...

I've never snorted thermal grease. Did Baron teach you that trick?

That's just cold. Besides, you're implying that Baron knows enough to teach, and that, my friend, is a total fallacy. I was actually being serious. You wouldn't have to snort it, imagine, if you would, too much being applied, drying out, and then becoming airborne via the CPU fan. Here's a link: Brain damage from Buckyballs

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
That's just cold. Besides, you're implying that Baron knows enough to teach, and that, my friend, is a total fallacy.

I was actually implying that he was capable of MISteaching.

I was actually being serious. You wouldn't have to snort it, imagine, if you would, too much being applied, drying out, and then becoming airborne via the CPU fan.

If the compound is grease-like, it should not dry out. A greasy substrate should keep the Bucky Balls from fubucking around in the air.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Right, a greasy substrate SHOULD keep it in place and not dry out. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem entirely safe, nanotech is truly amazing stuff, but it has the potential to be far more harmful than most realize. There was a good article in Nat. Geo. a few months back that looked into some of the adverse sides of nano, very interesting stuff.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Right, a greasy substrate SHOULD keep it in place and not dry out. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem entirely safe, nanotech is truly amazing stuff, but it has the potential to be far more harmful than most realize. There was a good article in Nat. Geo. a few months back that looked into some of the adverse sides of nano, very interesting stuff.

I don't discriminate synthetic vs. natural WRT health risks. Look at the literature 30 years ago for diesel particulates and lung cancer. Forest fires make nasty nanoparticles too. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to entrain buckyballs effectively. The challenge might be to get good thermal properties in such a mixture. Another thing to think about is low energy sputtering with bucky balls for surface modification. Some folks use bucky balls to induce secondary ion formation for organic/polymeric analysis but are also documenting the surface modification aspects. Might be a good coating for the inside of a heat pipe or a HS surface.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

I don't discriminate synthetic vs. natural WRT health risks. Look at the literature 30 years ago for diesel particulates and lung cancer. Forest fires make nasty nanoparticles too. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to entrain buckyballs effectively. The challenge might be to get good thermal properties in such a mixture. Another thing to think about is low energy sputtering with bucky balls for surface modification. Some folks use bucky balls to induce secondary ion formation for organic/polymeric analysis but are also documenting the surface modification aspects. Might be a good coating for the inside of a heat pipe or a HS surface.

Fantastic!!! A heatpipe that keeps your CPU 4 C cooler than the current best cooler out, and only costs $1148 U.S. Dollars. Whaere can i pick one up....shees

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Fantastic!!! A heatpipe that keeps your CPU 4 C cooler than the current best cooler out, and only costs $1148 U.S. Dollars. Whaere can i pick one up....shees

Sorry, we only sell them in mirrored pairs. Get $2500 into my paypal account and I'll place your order in the queue. And that's 8C cooler, get the factoids right.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I once had to make a paper model of a Bucky Ball...it was like senior year in high school. Colored the sides all pretty, wrote notes to Ninja on the inside of each side...you know the old drill.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
WTF is going on...

I haven't heard the term Bucky Balls since my high school chemistry course... and there is a reason why I'm not any major relating to chemistry...

Ugh.. lets keep things electrically related so I can seem smart... :x

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
SUP, what about Zalman Super Thermal Grease. i read that its just as good as AS5. i bought some but didn't come in yet. its also easier to apply and clean.

l8er :)