Upcoming Thermal Compound Shootout

Wich thermal compound would you like to be added in the review?

• Coollaboraty Liquid Pro

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Zalman ZM-STG1

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Artic Silver Ceramique

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • OCZ Ultra 5+

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Cooler Master High Performance HTK-002

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • StarTech HEATGREASE10

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • FrozenCPU Copper Thermal Compound

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Thermalright Chill Factor

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
DaClan is planning the Ultimate Thermal Compound Shootout. For this we will test several types of pastes, from silicon to silver, from copper to ceramique.
But of course, we wanted the feedback the TGForumz community. So vote for the one you would be the most interested in seeing in the review, DaClan will pick among the ones with the most votes. We will try to maintain diversity among the compounds' base materials to make the review more interesting.
Artic Silver 5 has been automatically added to the shootout. This is due to its incomparable popularity and to make to results of this poll less biased.

The shootout will be realized under the following conditions:
-Core2Duo processor.
-Stock Intel HSF.
-Stock vCORE.
-Closed case and 70F ambient temperature.
-Standard, drop in the center, application method*
-100 hours of cure period with extreme thermal cycles*
*Unless suggested otherwise by the manufacturer.

Click below to see each the manufacturer specs for each thermal compound:
Coollaboraty Liquid Pro
Zalman ZM-STG1
Artic Silver Ceramique
OCZ Ultra 5+
Cooler Master High Performance HTK-002
StarTech HEATGREASE10
FrozenCPU Copper Thermal Compound
Thermalright Chill Factor
(You can find the manufacturer specs at www.Thermalright.com)

On behalf of DaClan, I truly appreciate your opinions and votes 8)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Please be sure to read about each paste before placing your votes.

We understand that many of you are already a fan of one or two of the pastes in the list, so be sure to read from the list before making your final decision.

We have already cancelled out many of the leading thermal compounds only to bring forward what we think are the most promising pastes so please do not attempt to bring forward any more choices that you personally feel that we have missed.

Best of luck, and keep checking back at DaClan blog for the most interesting product reviews as well as our babes of the week.

~3lfk1ng

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
It'd be great if you guys can do a review on:

Cooler Master NanoFusion Supreme Thermal Compound (R9-GE7-PTK3)

I currently have those, wanna see how they do compared to what you guys are doing.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
It'd be great if you guys can do a review on:

Cooler Master NanoFusion Supreme Thermal Compound (R9-GE7-PTK3)

I currently have those, wanna see how they do compared to what you guys are doing.

WiZ83 please read everything carefully before posting next time...it clearly says:
We have already cancelled out many of the leading thermal compounds only to bring forward what we think are the most promising pastes so please do not attempt to bring forward any more choices that you personally feel that we have missed.

Thank you for your concern and attempted contribution.

Please note that we, DaClan, only plan on reviewing ~5 different pastes (including AS5) as each paste will undergo rigorous testing for upwards of 100+ hours. The Five pastes are chosen by you, the reader, so please make your decision wisely.

~3lfk1ng

anton

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2001
I am using the Coollaboratory product with amazing results, but would very much like to see how it stacks up to Arctic silver. As a different concept to the other products, I really hope you guys will test it.

EDIT : I'd also suggest that you use a hotter running processor or at least overclock the C2D to better represent those who would be interested in the different heat transferring properties of the different pastes. By doing that you should also have a bigger variance in performances.

EDIT : I'd also suggest that you use a hotter running processor or at least overclock the C2D to better represent those who would be interested in the different heat transferring properties of the different pastes. By doing that you should also have a bigger variance in performances.
When you OC, you add a mix of variables to the test that are difficult if not impossible to control. Performing everything on a widely used platform instead of say the X6800 and at a stock voltage and speed will give a more uniform expression of the total cooling capacity of each thermal interface material.
In other words, its for simplicity's sake. =P

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
This had been thought of previously, but because of the reasons Ninja listed it was ruled out.
But we are thinking of solutions to control every possible variant at the time :D
Dont doubt that OCing will be included in the review if we manage to truly figure every variant out.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, seen better babes =P

Hmmmm, I'm fairly certain the stock Intel HSF isin't alumminum, because otherwise the Liquid pro will have some... interesting affects, especially because of it's chemical mixture which includes Gallium. I did a lot of research on that a while back and there was a whole slew of wide results out, so I want to see how it really pans out.

Arctic Ceramique and AS5 have long been a debated topic, I think the general consensus between them is that they are fairly equal, but I guess this should help put those claims to rest. What exactly do you mean by extreme thermal cycles? Like Off, then Load, Then shut-down for an hour and again? Or just idle/load?

One more thing, might this be done on a test bench? I know having it in a case will simulate real world conditions more, but I can't think of any reason why getting results on a test bench wouldn't be easier for ya'll. Just looking out for the team =)

P.S. If possible, can you find an alumminum case and pour the Liquid Pro on it, I want to see if it will melt it...

Edit: More specifically, this thread:

http://www.nokytech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72471

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ooooooo... alumminum base, that will be great with the Liquid Pro, can't wait to see that eat through the metal =)

Really, that stuff is pretty cool, just take care with it. Also, it's a syringe, so please don't accidently inject yourselves... don't want to see Wolverine wannabe's running around =P

Babe suggestions...

819ho.jpg

What are we looking at right now? I kinda see AS5, AS Ceramique, and the Liquid Pro being in the test, what else do ya'll see?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, thats what you get when you go for asian girls. If you want one with... decent ones...

scarlett.jpg

Okay, we should stop the posting here otherwise Dario will kill us... for threadjacking again... which always seems to happen, don't know why...

Dario, RD600 comes out on Dec. 15th if you haven't heard yet. You excited yet?

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Just curious...

If you want real world comparison, why use a a "Perfectly lapped stock Intel HSF"? Do most people (especially those using the stock HSF) generally go this far? Since the purpose of the compound is to improve the contact between the less than perfect surfaces, wouldn't it be a better test if you skipped the lapping? Just my opinion...

I'm not sure about the lapped heatsinks either but we're using the stock heatsink because that can supply us with the most realistic data of what the TIM does and not the heatsink. Variance. Its all about variance.

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I don't suppose you guys could get your hands on some grafoil? I've got a little bit and was wondering how it would stack up against thermal compound. According to a website I went to, grafoil has good thermal transfer capabilities but I'm not sure it would be useful in a CPU application.

Thanks!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, lapping might give you more consistent results, but maybe not real-worldish... since some compounds are designed to help minimize problems from non-flat surfaces...

Shrug... either way is fine for me, results are results.

G

Yeah plus according to many, ceramic will have a better chance on lapped...
Ummm

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Any plans to include the stock paste that comes with the HSF. It would be nice to see if ANY of the aftermarket solutions are really that much better.

(Hope that's not to close to breaking the rules)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Any plans to include the stock paste that comes with the HSF. It would be nice to see if ANY of the aftermarket solutions are really that much better.

(Hope that's not to close to breaking the rules)

So far no plans have been made to include the stock paste only because the Thermal Conductivity on the stock paste is pretty weak. We are only selecting the best of the best for the lineup.

@Doughbuy
Dario, RD600 comes out on Dec. 15th if you haven't heard yet. You excited yet?
Got a link? if thats true, Im excited! :D

EDIT: NVM, found it