News Upd Windows 11 PC Health App Details Why You Can’t Up to Windows 11

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Finding the right button that is where the fun starts.
agreed. I have an Asus Z590 and it was TPP that had to be enabled before I could even get to the TPM settings. And nothing in the manual about it.
I did figure it out, and I thought I had to do a reformat over the weekend (turned out I was more than likely wrong. PC kept restarting and I couldn't figure out why. Narrowed it down to the GPU. Unplugged and plugged in all the power connectors and seems to be working no problem now). Anyway, did a reformat and thought I'd try Windows 11 from a fresh install. It's not too bad. Some different layout stuff, but I didn't think it was too hard to figure it out. I think my only big complaint is right clicking doesn't give you the same options. Particularly the desktop and trying to get to the NVidia Control Panel. To get that, it's either in the task bar by the clock, right click and Show More Options, or SHIFT-F10 to get the same pop-up options.
Hopefully this info, about Asus PTT, as well as Windows 11 can help others.

Reactions: thisisaname

DataMeister

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
I'm curious if anyone else has had a problem with secure boot?

When I first built my current PC, I installed Windows with secure boot enabled. Then a few weeks later I connected a HDD from a secondary computer to a SATA port to scan the drive, but the computer wouldn't boot up because it decided things weren't secure.

I basically had to reinstall Windows without secure boot to finish working on that drive. That was six years ago, so I don't know if Secure Boot is more intelligent now with multiple drives having a boot partition, or is that still a problem for anyone trying to do HDD diagnostics?

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I'm not too bothered that my current rig won't run Windows 11

AFAIC, I won't connect to the internet once support has ended. I'll leave that to my laptop(s) should I decide to upgrade

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I'm curious if anyone else has had a problem with secure boot?

When I first built my current PC, I installed Windows with secure boot enabled. Then a few weeks later I connected a HDD from a secondary computer to a SATA port to scan the drive, but the computer wouldn't boot up because it decided things weren't secure.

I basically had to reinstall Windows without secure boot to finish working on that drive. That was six years ago, so I don't know if Secure Boot is more intelligent now with multiple drives having a boot partition, or is that still a problem for anyone trying to do HDD diagnostics?

Not had a problem with secure boot, other than trying to boot with a Linux distro, which of course you have to disable if trying them

Colif

Win 11 Master
i still pass without having secure boot enabled. it says I can enable it but its not saying I have to.
Already on 11 so I know it works.

are titles that short you have to type Upd instead of Update?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
i still pass without having secure boot enabled. it says I can enable it but its not saying I have to.
Already on 11 so I know it works.

are titles that short you have to type Upd instead of Update?

There are articles and discussion that many of the allowed aspects of the install on non compliant machines will be killed on release with an update.

Apr 1, 2020
Microsoft: TPM 2.0 is for security reasons, it's for your protection, it makes things secure.

21.63% of the Windows userbase using Windows 8 or earlier: Why does Microsoft insist on making things less secure by imposing arbitrary restrictions and preventing our machines from running a modern OS?

Microsoft: TPM 2.0 is for security reasons, it's for your protection, it makes things secure.

21.63% of the Windows userbase using Windows 8 or earlier: Why does Microsoft insist on making things less secure by imposing arbitrary restrictions and preventing our machines from running a modern OS?
Because they want to stifle competition by using an excuse that "the boot process is the least secure part of a system now" - Secure Boot requires the kernel image to be signed, and the kernel's key is stored in the Trusted Platform Module.
For Linux, a workaround exists where a very small loader is signed and then loads the kernel; Ubuntu and Fedora have paid for the signature, so you can use Secure Boot with those. It doesn't help at all, but it complies.
On a Ryzen test system I have around, which was using a "legacy" install of Windows 10, I had to use:
  • mbr2gpt.exe /AllowFullOs, to make the system compatible with UEFI boot, which requires a GPT partition theme; reboot;
  • define an UEFI administrator password to un-grey the TPM UEFI section;
  • disable CSM (not necessary, but it's faster than tinkering with the boot mode);
  • enable the TPM 2 in-processor chip;
  • install standard TPM keys;
  • enable secure boot then reboot Windows twice.
And then the system went from "impossible to install Windows 11" to "unsupported processor" - because my Ryzen 2400G is a Zen (not Zen+) chip. Crap on a cracker.
This also indicates that the happy owners of a Ryzen 1600AF should have Windows 11 support, while owners of Ryzen 2200G/2400G won't. Way to make things awkward, Microsoft/AMD !

Reactions: salgado18

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I had a bit of fun yesterday running this PC-Health app on various physical and virtual systems: It would invariably report that the systems failed the test... while they were actually running Windows 11, including the latest 22458.1000 release.

It just proves beyond any doubt, how arbitary Microsoft's decision is, and that it lacks any technical base.

In some cases the hosts didn't have UEFI, secure boot or a TPM, but any decent hypervisor has no issue simulating them. Any half decent hypervisor may also soon contain the ability to fake CPUID results to make Windows 11 happy.

And that is obviously a good thing, just like with those darn Nvidia consumer card drivers, which refused to work otherwise with PCIe pass-through.

But the only right thing to do is to leave the choice to those who bought the hardware and the software and who did not subscribe to be prodded, goaded or handycapped at will by anyone who just happens to provide a minor part to their workstation. If I wanted to be an iSlave, I wouldn't have bought Personal Computers for the last 40 years (had an Apple ][ before).

Microsoft's latest move, to say they will not try to fix bugs reported from systems that are "too old", IMHO would be acceptable, even fair. Unlimited support is unreasonable, even Linux did stop supporting 80386 CPUs when the maintainers ran out of functioning hardware to validate against. But Microsoft was threatening to sabotage perfectly functioning hardware and that is a different matter.

Even keeping non-qualifying systems from updating automatically would be appreciated as a bonus by all those who never really saw that as a feature (can't say how often I've had VMs crashing from automated reboots on automated updates even on Server 2019).

But the older systems do need to be offered the security updates and the ability for owners to accept them--yes, at the risk of breaking things on older hardware--but with the usual recovery options, which may not be perfect (for which you have backups that are easy to do if you don't have TPM in place).

Just like Windows 11 should be runnable on TPM-less systems, when the owner accepts the risks to himself and others in his vicinity.

I believe Microsoft needs to be given a proper choice:
  • Either make sure not to sabotage existing systems
  • or enable the community to take over support of older hardware (open source)
Now we all just need to make sure our congresspeople make M$ understand there is no third option.

And they may also want to make sure M$ understands, that forcing a Windows 11 upgrade on Windows 10 users with qualifiying hardware is not an option either (remember the final days of Windows 7?). Not just on principle (owners chose, not vendors), but because people are working with a mix of devices and will want to keep consistency between them.